Rochester Fire Department logo

Concern over the buildup of carbon monoxide in an apartment building caused the evacuation of the building Saturday morning.

Rochester Fire Department crews answered the call to a building in the 700 block of First Avenue Southwest at about 10:55 a.m. Saturday after a tenant's carbon monoxide detector alerted the fire department. When the crews arrived they noticed a pair of large generators running at the exterior of the building and construction work being done. There was also a buildup of the odorless gas in the atmosphere surrounding the building, according to a RFD report.

Fire crews entered the building and discovered carbon monoxide was detectable on all five floors of the building. Fire crews evacuated the entire building then used ventilation fans to force fresh air into the building while forcing the carbon monoxide out.

As a precaution, Mayo Clinic Ambulance was on scene, though no injuries or illnesses were reported. Once the building was ventilated and retested, tenants were allowed back into their homes.

The Rochester YMCA, which is located across the street, served as a temporary shelter for the tenants.