PINE ISLAND — A family of four is receiving assistance from the American Red Cross after their apartment was damaged by a kitchen fire Tuesday night. 

Pine Island Fire Chief Brandon Sather said fire crews responded to a call at about 6:58 p.m. Tuesday concerning a structure fire in the 200 block of Eighth Street Southwest in Pine Island. When they arrived, crews found heavy smoke coming from the home, and the homeowners reported that the fire was in the kitchen.

Fire crews entered the home and found heavy smoke coming from the kitchen. They were able to extinguish the fire within 10 minutes of arrival. Crews stayed at the scene until about 9 p.m., Sather said, to take care of any hot spots.

Fire damage was limited to the kitchen area, with the upstairs of the home sustaining smoke damage. It is believed that a grease fire was the cause of the blaze.

Tara Niebeling, a spokeswoman for the American Red Cross, said volunteers helped the family, making sure they had a safe place to stay, clothing, food, emotional support and help with long-term recovery planning.

Regional Reporter

Brian Todd is a 1997 graduate of Nebraska-Omaha. He covers Goodhue, Wabasha, Winona and Houston counties and writes a weekly column about the life of a reporter.