A 19-year-old Rochester man was sentenced to more than eight years in prison for attacking a GameStop store clerk with a hammer.

Jacob Anthony Meier was sentenced Monday in Olmsted County District Court by Judge Kathy Wallace to 98 months in prison after he pleaded guilty in October to felony first-degree assault. Meier will receive credit for 293 days he has already served.

Rochester Police were called around 8:50 p.m. Feb. 19 to the GameStop in northwest Rochester for a report of a robbery. Police found a store employee bleeding with a large cut on the left side of his head.

Using surveillance video, police were able to see two men walk into the video game store and spend eight minutes talking with the employee before beating him in the head with a hammer.

That blow to the head knocked the employee out, and the pair, later identified as Ali Joshua Robida and Meier, spent the next five minutes gathering dozens of video games and an Xbox until the employee regained consciousness.

That assault left the employee with severe injuries — he later underwent surgery to repair a fractured skull, a brain hemorrhage and to relieve the pressure on his brain.

Rochester police tied the robbery to Meier after a probation officer identified him in surveillance released to the media. A second, anonymous tipster believed the second suspect was Robida.

Days after the incident, officers arrested Meier at his apartment, where he was found playing video games on one of the consoles allegedly stolen from the store. When he was questioned, he told police that he was the the one to hit the employee in the head with a hammer.

Officers obtained surveillance video from an apartment complex — where both Robida and Meier live — which shows the two entering the building less than 20 minutes after the robbery. In that video, the two can be seen in the “exact same” clothing as that worn by the robbery suspects, court documents say.

Meier admitted that he had participated in the robbery by bringing the hammer and hitting the store clerk in the back of the head, according to court documents.

Robida pleaded guilty to felony first-degree assault in May and was sentenced by Judge Christina Stevens in Olmsted County District Court in October to 86 months in prison.