Riggott steps down from RCVB post
By Bob Freund
The top executive for the Rochester Convention and Visitors Bureau left Thursday, ending eight years with the agency.
Brenda Riggott resigned her position at a meeting with bureau chairman Michael Smith and chairwoman Jamie Lund, Smith said this morning. The departure took effect at the end of the work day. The meeting had been previously planned.
"She just simply is going to move on to different career ... goals," Smith said. She was not asked to resign, he said.
"We parted ways in a very favorable fashion," Smith said.
Riggott could not be reached for comment this morning.
Smith said Riggott did not give specifics about her plans.
Riggott has led the bureau's staff as executive director since November 1996.
The Rochester Convention and Visitors Bureau's board of directors will begin a search to replace Riggott and also could appoint an interim executive, Smith said.
In the meantime, sales manager Ross Messick will serve as a "point person" for daily operations.
The convention and visitors bureau promotes the city and area for conventions and other events, working closely with the Mayo Civic Center. The bureau also promotes tourism in general and provides information for visitors.
The non-profit bureau is governed by a board of directors made up of volunteers from the hospitality industry, city and county governments, and other interested groups. It receives about $1.3 million from the city's 4 percent lodging tax and another $1.3 million or so from the city's general fund.