Rochester Catholic Schools announces changes to start times
The new schedule was developed to address the changes Rochester Public Schools made to its bell schedule.
Rochester Catholic Schools has announced changes to its start and end times for the school day for the 2021-22 year.
The changes will affect students in preschool through eighth grade. The start and end times at Lourdes High School, however, will remain the same.
“This has been an opportunity for RCS to partner with our parents to develop educational solutions that benefit our students,” said Dr. John Wald, co-chair of the RCS Board of Trustees.
The new start and end times include:
- Co-Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist will have a first bell at 7:55 a.m. and a start time of 8:15 a.m. It will have an end time of 2:55 p.m.
- Holy Spirit will have a first bell of 8:15 a.m. and a start time of 8:25 a.m. Its end time will be 3:05 p.m.
- St. Pius X will have a first bell of 8:15 a.m. and a start time of 8:25 a.m. Its end time will be 3:05 p.m.
- St. Francis of Assisi will have a first bell of 8:25 a.m. and a start time of 8:35 a.m. Its end time will be 3:15 p.m.
- Lourdes High School will keep its first bell at 7:42 a.m. and its start time of 7:45 a.m. Its end time will remain as 2:42 p.m.
The new schedule was developed to address the changes Rochester Public Schools made to its bell schedule that would have required the school days at some Catholic schools to start and end later. The changes to the Catholic Schools schedule took staff and parent survey results into consideration, according to a news release.
By getting younger students into the classroom earlier in the morning, Rochester Catholic Schools anticipates increased focus and engagement resulting in greater learning success. With an earlier end time, students also will have more time to participate in extracurricular activities and clubs after school, the release said.