Search continues for missing Mpls. teen
MINNEAPOLIS -- The search continued Friday for a 13-year-old girl from Minneapolis who was apparently abducted from her Minneapolis home Wednesday night.
Police said Katheryn Irene Deverney was taken from her home on Chicago Avenue in Minneapolis sometime between 10 p.m. and 11:30 p.m. by an acquaintance.
Police said Friday night they suspect Luis Enrique Pallares-Villasana, 28, of taking Katheryn. Earlier on Friday they identified the suspect as Carlos Lopez, 21. Police Lt. Mike Carlson said Lopez was an alias for Pallares-Villasana.
Shannon Keeler, the girl's mother, said the man she identified as Lopez took her daughter to his apartment for two days in October, an incident that the mother reported to police.
However, the man apparently was never arrested in that case and is now suspected in Wednesday's abduction.
Police Lt. Medaria Arradondo said the man was not charged in the October case because it was not forwarded to the Hennepin County attorney's office. Procedures will change in the future, he said.
On Wednesday night, after Pallares-Villasana apparently took the girl from her second-floor bedroom, Keeler said he left a note professing his love for the teen.
"It said: 'Nobody loves Katie. I love Katie. I'm taking Katie far away. Signed, Carlos,"' Keeler told the Star Tribune on Thursday.
An Amber Alert was issued Thursday morning for Deverney, who was described as 5-foot-1 with a light build, brown eyes and straight black hair. She was last seen wearing a gray T-shirt, red sweater and blue jeans.
Pallares-Villasana was described as Hispanic, about 5-foot-9 with a light build and short, spiked black hair.
Police had issued descriptions of various vehicles they were seeking, but said those vehicles had either been found or were not involved in the case.
Police said they were concerned the man would take the girl to Mexico.
Authorities ask that anyone with information about Deverney call 911.