ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Stove used for extra heat causes fire

Post-Bulletin, Rochester MN

An apartment at a complex in southeast Rochester was damaged by a fire that started when a woman left a stove on for heat.

The fire, which was reported at 8:26 a.m., was at Meadow Park Apartments, 1426 Fourth Ave. S.E.

Rochester Fire Marshal Vance Swisher said the 31-year-old woman had the stove on, took a shower and discovered the fire when she came out. She pulled the alarm, and a maintenance man put out the fire. Firefighters were also called.

The fire caused $8,000 to $10,000 in damage to the stove and cabinets, Swisher said.

ADVERTISEMENT

"This could have been a lot worse," Swisher said. "Another two to three minutes, it would have made it to the attic space, and we would have had a much different fire."

This was the third two-alarm fire in 24 hours, all in apartments and all caused by people using stoves for extra heat. Stoves aren’t made for such extended use, Swisher said.

What To Read Next
Fundraising is underway to move the giant ball of twine from the Highland, Wisconsin, home of creator James Frank Kotera, who died last month at age 75, 44 years after starting the big ball.