Suspect in area murder arrested in Arkansas
By Dawn Schuett
RED WING — A man wanted on murder charges here is expected to make his first court appearance soon in the case following his extradition from Arkansas.
Donald Andre Sesley, 20, was indicted by a Goodhue County grand jury earlier this year in the Jan. 20 shooting death of Luis Orlando Galicia Mijangos, 26. Sesley, who was picked up by U.S. marshals last week, is the eighth suspect to be arrested. A court date is pending.
The indictment filed in Goodhue District Court charges Sesley with first- and second-degree murder, attempted aggravated robbery, attempted simple robbery and second-degree assault.
According to Craig Lunde, investigative sergeant with the Red Wing Police Department, authorities allege Sesley was at the scene of the shooting with several others intending to rob Mijangos.
Last month, Marvin Todd Griffith Jr. pleaded guilty to second-degree intentional murder for Mijangos’ death. Griffith admitted in court that he went with a group of people to a Red Wing alley to rob Mijangos’ friend, but Mijangos was apparently there in a vehicle to buy drugs from them. Griffith said he held a gun in his hand while demanding money from Mijangos and that the gun went off during a struggle, firing a bullet that struck Mijangos in the upper body. Griffith and two other defendants who have also pleaded guilty in the case are to be sentenced in August.
Two defendants have already been sentenced, including a 17-year-old boy from Zumbrota and William Jamar Lawton, 19, of Red Wing. Lawton, convicted of second-murder as an accomplice, while committing simple robbery, was sentenced Thursday to 15 years in prison.
The cases against two more defendants remain open.
Sesley is likely the last arrest related to the murder, but the investigation is not officially closed, Lunde said.
"We do not anticipate at this time any further charges, but that can always change," he said.