Take other investor to court

DEAR ANNIE: A year ago, I was invited to invest in the company where I worked and become a part-owner. My husband and I took out a second mortgage and refinanced everything to buy in. It was great at first, but now everything is going downhill.

"Jane," the other investor, has more stock and constantly reminds us that she is the majority owner. I have not even gotten a paycheck in the past two months. I want out, but cannot find anyone to buy my shares.

I am so stressed that I am constantly in a state of panic. I have gained weight, started smoking and now snap at my husband and children.

Jane puts on a great face at the office, but behind closed doors she reams out the employees so much they actually cry. We keep losing good people because of her attitude.

I have also questioned Jane about financial findings — trips for training, psychic readings, lunches, etc.


She claims that as majority owner, these are legitimate business expenses. Maybe, but we are not profitable. I am about to lose my house and car, and my marriage is in a sorry state.

I am so angry I don’t know what to do. How can I sell my portion of the business? — Sick of Crying

DEAR SICK: Even a majority shareholder has a responsibility not to run the company into the ground, and it may be that the only way to hold Jane responsible is to take her to court. You need to talk to a lawyer. Your state bar association or local law school should be able to help you out.

DEAR ANNIE: I have a daughter-in-law of whom I’m very fond. She is the mother of my 3-year-old grandson. Unfortunately, she and my son divorced after only a few months of marriage. The split was not her fault.

I plan on calling her my daughter-in-law from now on, even if my son remarries. Am I correct in believing that the divorce does not affect my relationship with her? Please let me know. — Troubled Father-in-Law

DEAR TROUBLED: The divorce may not affect your relationship, but a remarriage absolutely will. It’s wonderful that you are so fond of your ex-daughter-in-law, and it is a good idea for you to remain on friendly terms.

However, if your son remarries, it would be rude to your new daughter-in-law to use that term to refer to someone else.

She will resent it, and rightfully so. Don’t court trouble. There is no insult in saying "my former daughter-in-law." Or even "my grandson’s mother." It won’t change the degree of affection between you.


Annie’s Mailbox is written by Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar, longtime editors of the Ann Landers column. Please e-mail your questions to, or write to: Annie’s Mailbox, P.O. Box 118190, Chicago, IL 60611.

What To Read Next
Get Local