Teens arrested for fight between rival gangs’ members

By Janice Gregorson

Four 17-year-old boys are in custody following a fight between members of rival gangs, Rochester police said.

The incident occurred about 9:25 p.m. in the 400 block of Fourth Avenue Southeast when two teenage boys were attacked by the four suspects, according to police.

Lt. Dan Muyres said the two victims, ages 15 and 17 and both from Rochester, are identified as members of the Bloods. The four suspects are identified as members of the Shotgun Crips.


The victims told police they have no idea why the four attacked them as they were walking home after going to the SuperAmerica store on Fourth Street Southeast. The suspects say it was in retaliation for a fight that occurred over the weekend, police said.

Muyres said the victims told officers they first encountered the suspects inside the convenience store, where the suspects allegedly gave them "threatening looks." No comments were made inside the store.

The victims left and were walking on Fourth Avenue Southeast when a car pulled up and the four suspects jumped out and began kicking and hitting them, Muyres said. One of the suspects allegedly was armed with a knife, police said. A utility knife was later found on the ground. One of the victims had a cut on his hand, but police believe that happened when the teen fell and hit a rock.

Muyres said the fight continued for a couple of minutes, until the four suspects jumped back in their car and fled. The victims obtained a license plate number, while led police to a residence in the 2500 block of 11th Avenue Northwest. There, the vehicle pulled up, and four 17-year-olds in the vehicle were arrested, police said. Three are from Rochester; one is from Minneapolis.

Muyres said the injured teen was treated at the scene by Gold Cross Ambulance paramedics. The incident remains under investigation.

What To Read Next
Fundraising is underway to move the giant ball of twine from the Highland, Wisconsin, home of creator James Frank Kotera, who died last month at age 75, 44 years after starting the big ball.