The holiday is in sight
By Emily Buss
You have until the early evening hours on Monday to shop for last-minute Christmas gifts.
Last-minute shoppers and holiday travelers should expect mostly mild weather, with some snow expected Saturday.
Here some tips to stay on top of this long holiday weekend:
Most major retailers in Rochester are open this weekend with special, later holiday hours, but are closed on Christmas Day.
• Apache Mall is open until 10 p.m. Friday, Saturday and Sunday, and from 7 a.m. until 6 p.m. Christmas Eve.
• Both Rochester SuperTargets are open 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Christmas Eve.
• Both Wal-Mart Supercenters, will close at 6 p.m. Monday and will be closed through Tuesday.
Gasoline prices in Rochester have dropped since Thanksgiving — regular gas is $2.85 a gallon, down from $3.05 a month ago but up from $2.20 a year ago.
The weekend forecast for Rochester includes a good chance for snow Saturday and Sunday, but clearing after that for a mostly sunny Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Highs will be in the 20s.
• Banks: Most banks are open until early afternoon on Christmas Eve, but all are closed Christmas day.
• Recreation: The Recreation Center, Rochester Athletic Club and the area YMCA are open this weekend and Christmas Eve, but closed on Christmas Day. On Monday, the Rochester Athletic Club and YMCA are both open from 5 a.m. to 2 p.m.; the Rec Center has only open gym and skating from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
• Library: The Rochester Public Library will be open Saturday and Sunday, but will be closed Monday and Tuesday.
• Government: Most government offices will be open Monday and closed Tuesday.
The Post-Bulletin will be on your doorstep in the morning on Monday and Tuesday, but will return to its normal afternoon delivery on Wednesday.