What’s open, closed and going on for the New Year’s holiday
Another extended holiday weekend lies ahead for many people, with New Year’s Eve on Monday and New Year’s Day on Tuesday. Here’s the lowdown on what’s open and closed.
- Apache Mall is open 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. both Monday and Tuesday. The mall returns to regular business hours, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., on Wednesday.
- Discount stores SuperTarget and Wal-Mart Superstore are open regular hours both days.
Rochester banks generally are open regular hours on Monday and are closed Tuesday. Home Federal Savings Bank will close early at 4 p.m. Monday.
Rochester city offices and Olmsted County offices, along with other city and county offices across southeastern Minnesota, will be closed Monday and Tuesday. State offices are also closed
The Rochester Public Library will be closed Monday and Tuesday.
- Many area clubs, halls and bars offer live music with complimentary snacks, party favors and other attractions Monday night. A couple of night spots even are providing free shuttle bus or limousine rides home.
- The Minnesota Ice Hawks hockey team will face off against the Wisconsin Mustangs at 7:05 p.m. Monday at the Rochester Recreation Center, 21 Elton Hills Drive N.W. The band "Furious George" will play for a half-hour before and an hour after the game, as well as between periods.
- Movie complexes will be in open as usual. See listings.
- Goonies Comedy Club stages shows at 7:30 p.m. and 10 p.m. on New Year’s Eve featuring comedians Dan Grueter and Mike Baldwin. Reservations are recommended by phoning 288-8130.
- Warming sheds at ice rinks in Rochester parks will be open today and Sunday from noon to 5 p.m., but will be closed Monday and Tuesday.
- Quarry Hill Nature Center in Rochester will be open regular hours today, Sunday and Monday, with snowshoe and cross-country ski rentals available. On New Year’s Day, the center and rentals are available from noon to 5 p.m. The center will host a family-oriented New Year’s Eve party from 7 to 10 p.m., but you must register in advance.
- The Post-Bulletin will publish a morning edition on Tuesday. We’ll have regular afternoon delivery on Monday.