World War II nurse to speak at roundtable
Post-Bulletin, Rochester MN
Avis Schorer, an Army nurse who treated the wounded at Anzio Beach, will be the speaker Monday at the Scott Hosier World War II Roundtable meeting.
Schorer, of Bloomington, Minn., has written a book about her experiences, "A Half Acre of Hell." The allied amphibious assault on Anzio, south of Rome, took place in January 1943. After the landing, Schorer was assigned to a field hospital on the beach.
The meeting is at 7 p.m. at Rochester Assembly of God Church, 4240 18th Ave. N.W. in Rochester — a new meeting site this year for the roundtable.
The 2008-2009 schedule:
- Oct. 13 — The war in China; Flying Tigers, B-24s.
- Nov. 10 — B-17 ball turret gunner, Stalag IV P.O.W. camp.
- Dec. 16 — USS Ward at Pearl Harbor.
- Jan. 12 — Battle of the Bulge.
- Feb. 9 — B-25 navigator/bombardier in the South Pacific.
- Feb. 28 — Ex-P.O.W. panel.
- March 9 — Life in Germany, 1930s-1945.
- April 13 — Missions over Berlin, air and sea rescue.
- May 11 — Island hopping in APD-10s and LCVs.
- June 8 — The battle for St. Lo.
Meetings are preceded at 6:30 p.m. by live 1940s-era music. Admission is a suggested donation of $3 (students admitted free).