Youth Sports Report (March 12)
• Rochester Youth Baseball is still accepting registrations for our 2008 season. Be sure to register by mail before March 31 to ensure placement on a team. Be sure to visit our web site (www.rybamn.com) for additional registration information along with our annual newsletter.
— All potential coaches are invited to a free coaching clinic on Sunday, March 16, from 12:30 - 5:00 p.m. at the UCR Regional Sports Center fieldhouse.
— RYBA is in need of sponsors for the upcoming 2008 season. Please contact Mike Young at 282-9065 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested. Cost is $200 per team.
MIAMI, Fla. — IGoal, a portable and inflatable soccer goal system becoming popular in Europe, has begun winning the hearts of coaches and players in the United States and Canada, according to Hans Bos, President of Igoal USA and Canada.
"Soccer goal tip-over accidents kill at least one child every year, and injure over 200, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission," said Bos.
IGoal is ideal for teams using non-traditional soccer fields for practice and games. It’s portable and easy to use: kids can set it up themselves. And it can travel anywhere the team goes. For information, see www.ultimatemallofmalls.com.
• Some Med-City Aquatics swim club highlights from the recent Age Group State Championships at the Rochester Recreation Center.
• The 11-12 Boys 200 Medley Relay (Elliot Lynch, Jason Chang, Drew Hayes, Jack Koplin) annihilated the Team Record and took 3rd place with every swimmer posting lifetime best splits. • The 10 & Under Girls 200 Medley Relay (Maggie Ericson, Willemijn van Deursen, Eva Koplin, Kasey Ericson) placed 30th. • The 10 & Under Boys 200 Medley Relay (Franco Lanzino, Collin Miller, Ben Bohn, Jacob Erpelding) posted a 15th place finish with every swimmer swimming a best time. • The 11-12 Girls 200 Medley Relay (Allison Schumacher, Roberta Lanzino, Lexi Shin, Angela Ostroot) swam to a best time.
• Kasey Ericson swam a best time in the 50 Butterfly and 50 Backstroke. • Collin Miller placed 10th in the 50 Breast with a new best time. He later improved on that placing with a 9th place in the 100 IM, and then got even stronger with a 7th in the 50 Back (both races new best times). • Jason Chang moved up to 10th place by dropping well over a second off his best 50 Breaststroke time.
• Allison Schumacher crushed her best 200 Free time by nearly 2 seconds. Her time exactly tied the Team record set by Erin Caflisch 4 years ago at this meet. She also broke a Team record by setting a best in her 50 Back (14th place). • Taylor Bass swam to a new best time in the 200 Free, a new AAAA time for her and good for 3rd place. She cut two tenths off her 50 Back for a 7th place. Taylor also took 6th in the 100 IM with a new best time. • Elliot Lynch swam to the first Zone time of his Med City career, taking 6th place in the 50 Back with a new best time. For good measure, he also cut over 4 seconds off his best 200 Free.
• Jack Koplin scored a 9th place finish in the 200 Free with a best time drop of just over 1.5 seconds. Later in the meet, he snagged 11th place points in the 100 IM. • Drew Hayes grabbed his first Backstroke Zone cut when he dropped nearly a second off his 50 Backstroke. He also turned in a new best time in the 200 Free for a 15th place showing and grabbed 10th in the 100 IM with a new best. • Eva Koplin sliced a few hundredths of a second off her best 50 Back.
• The 11-12 Girls 400 Free Relay (Paige Tierney, Lexi Shin, Angela Ostroot, Allison Schumacher) dropped time off their best with Paige leading off in a new lifetime best 100 Free. • The 11-12 Boys 400 Free Relay (Elliot Lynch, Jason Chang, Drew Hayes, Jack Koplin) put up a strong 2nd place showing, blowing away their own Team Record in the process. • Maggie Ericson concluded the meet with a successful time trial in which she swam her first-ever State Champ cut in the 50 Free.
• The Southern Minnesota Volleyball club team, SMV 163, finished first in the Gold Division in the Farmington 16’s volleyball tournament on Saturday on March 1, beating Apple Valley Eagles 15’s, Farmington 16’s, Mankato East 16’s and Lakeville 15’s in the Championships. SMV 163 finished 2nd in the Gold Division of the Stewie Sizzler Volleyball Tournament on Sunday, March 2, with a 11-4 record, losing to Chatfield Atomic Force 16’s 24-26 & 24-26 in the Championship match.