Area football teams hoist trophies
It was a night for champions on football fields across southeastern Minnesota on Friday.
In a battle of top-10-ranked teams, Chatfield and Caledonia went to overtime in the Section One, Class AA high school football championship game. Chatfield defeated the three-time defending state champions 13-10 to advance to the state quarterfinals next week.
Caledonia was ranked No. 1 in the latest Class AA state poll. Chatfield was ninth.
In other games:
• Kasson-Mantorville led 28-0 after three quarters and defeated Stewartville 35-7 in Section 1AAAA. The Komets will play the Academy of Holy Angels on Friday in Woodbury.
• Rochester Mayo gave up a touchdown on the opening kickoff and gave up two more touchdowns in the first six minutes, losing 42-0 to Owatonna in Section 1AAAAA.
• Pine Island had a back-and-forth game with Norwood-Young America, winning 29-28 in the final minute in Section 2AA.
• Grand Meadow started strong and ended up beating Spring Grove 31-14 in Section 1, Nine-Man.
• Blooming Prairie dug an early 14-0 hole, took the lead briefly, then fell 28-20 to Faribault Bethlehem Academy in Section 1A.
• Lourdes plays Cannon Falls in the Section 1AAA title game today.
See full game reports in Sports.
High School Football: KoMets repeat as Section 1AAAA champions
Chatfield breaks Caledonia's grip on Section 1AA
Section 1AAAAA football: Owatonna freight train rolls past Mayo
SuperLarks topple top seed Spring Grove with solid running game