Bridging the centuries
The Falls of Wasioja on the Zumbro River (upper) were instrumental in the establishment of Rochester because they could provide the water power necessary to run the first grain mill. Later, the falls were altered and the mill race filled. The area is now home to the Rochester-Olmsted County Government Center.
The steel bridge on Fourth Street Southeast replaced earlier wooden structures. The Winona and Western Railway Depot became the Chicago Great Western in 1901 and was moved to Second Street Southeast in 1903. The one-story hipped roof building was moved back to approximately its original location and renovated and restored in 1999. The depot is now the Dos Amigos restaurant (right).
Next week: : First Presbyterian’s first 150 years.