Sponsored By
An organization or individual has paid for the creation of this work but did not approve or review it.



Brownsdale woman suffers burns when natural gas ignites

A Brownsdale woman remains hospitalized after a gas leak caused a flash-fire Sunday in her kitchen.

Brianne Pedersen, 26, was taken by Gold Cross Ambulance to Mayo Clinic Health System in Austin, where she was in stable condition, a spokeswoman said Monday.

According to the Mower County sheriff's report, Pedersen told authorities she smelled gas in her home and was able to track the source to her oven. The appliance was unplugged, the report says, so Pedersen plugged it back in, then opened the oven door to check the pilot light.

According to the report, a flash-fire erupted, burning Pedersen's face. She was able to call 911.

When deputies and the Brownsdale Fire Department arrived, "there was a strong odor of natural gas," said Sheriff Terese Amazi, so rescuers left the home temporarily.


Members of the fire department shut the gas off; representatives from the utility company also arrived to investigate.

No damage to the home was reported.

What To Read Next
Get Local