Sponsored By
An organization or individual has paid for the creation of this work but did not approve or review it.



Candle blamed for house fire

WINONA — An investigation into a house fire that sent one man to the hospital for smoke inhalation Saturday determined that an unattended candle caused the blaze.

The fire was reported at 6:05 a.m. Saturday at 217 W. Broadway. Police Sgt. Dave Allen was credited with pulling the homeowner, Bill Styba, from the burning structure as firefighters arrived. Residents in the second- and third-floor apartments had already been evacuated.

The candle apparently had been left burning on a dining room table on the first floor, according to Jim Multhaup, assistant fire chief.

Styba was treated for smoke inhalation at Winona Health and released. A firefighter received three stitches for a cut on one of his hands.

What To Read Next
Get Local