Chamber hosts annual awards banquet
Austin's Business of the Year for 2009 will be honored tonight during the local chamber of commerce's annual banquet.
Members of the Austin Area Chamber of Commerce are hosting the event again at the Holiday Inn's Austin Conference Center.
Twelve business members will be recognized as the Business of the Year nominees, along with several others for their contributions to the nonprofit organization and community throughout last year.
Nominees for business awards this year are:
• Games People Play, owner Lance Pogones.
• Sellers Lock & Key, owner Jeff Sellers.
• Culligan Water Conditioning, general manager Noah Hawkes.
• Workforce Development Inc., general manager Bob Haas.
• Austin Utilities, general manager Jerry McCarthy.
• Hormel Historic Home, executive director Laura Helle.
• Steve's Pizza, owner Steve Davis.
• Beaver Trails Jellystone Park, owners Laura and Don Tolner.
• Apollo Liquor and Superette, owners Dave and Peggy Olson.
• Medicap Pharmacy, pharmacist Jon Engelhardt.
• Christopher Lee Photography, owner Christopher Iverson.
• Bollingberg Chiropractic, owners Dr. Faye and Rolf Bollingberg.
It's the largest gathering of chamber members every year, with about 300 attendees.
"Teamwork" is this year's theme, with chamber members encouraged to wear the colors of their favorite Minnesota sports team — professional, college or high school.
"The theme will be carried throughout the program, as chamber work is related to the team concept and our organization's slogan, 'We're Better Together,'" the Chamber announced.
Individual members and committees also are recognized for their work during the event, including awards given for Ambassador of the Year, Ambassador Team of the Year and the chamber's Volunteer of the Year.
Chamber members needed to register in advance to attend the banquet.