Day in History: 15 to receive air training in Rochester
1990 – 25 years ago
• Cranes continue excavation on the Zumbro River near the Rochester Public Utilities power plant as part of a $10 million contract to deepen the river by about 3 feet. 30,000 of truckloads of dirt will be hauled away, 2,000 truckloads of concrete will be poured and 7,000 truckloads of riprap will be dumped on this section of the project.
• Commencement exercises were held for the Lourdes High School class of 1990 consisting of 74 graduates. Class valedictorian was Jeffrey Kennel.
1965 – 50 years ago
• The annual Miss Minnesota pageant parade marched through the downtown, led by Miss Rochester Susan Thies. The 10 young women in competition for the state crown waved to the crowd from convertibles, with floats and bands also taking part. The Rochester Junior Chamber of Commerce has hosted the event for the past five years.
• The Kasson-Mantorville High School baseball team won their first district baseball crown in school history with a 2-1 won over Winona.
• Six members of the 1915 graduating class of Lanesboro High School attended the 50th anniversary reunion at the White Front Cafe. There were a total of 20 members in the class.
1940 – 75 years ago
•The Sears store at South Broadway and Center Street is celebrating its fourth anniversary in Rochester with a big birthday sale. Summer merchandise on sale includes Elgin bicycles for $24.84, a 16-inch mower for $9.70, a five-piece golf set for $8.95 and three golf balls for a dollar.
• Mrs. Mattie Stinchfield of Rochester, who has four daughters and five granddaughters who are active members of Delta Gamma sorority, was honored at a luncheon for the mothers and members of the organization at the Rochester Country Club.
• Facilities have been set up in Rochester to train 15 young men in primary flying. The program is part of an effort throughout the Midwest to train 2,925 air pilots during the next year as a preparedness measure. Nationwide an effort is being made to train 45,000 men. Students will get about $125 for board and room during the first 10 weeks of the schooling.
From news services
Ten years ago: "Monty Python's Spamalot" won three Tony Awards, including best musical; the musical play "The Light in the Piazza" won six prizes, while "Doubt" was named best drama. Spanish teenager Rafael Nadal beat unseeded Mariano Puerta of Argentina 6-7 (6), 6-3, 6-1, 7-5 to win the French Open men's singles title.
Five years ago: Israeli forces seized a Gaza-bound aid vessel, the Rachel Corrie, without meeting resistance days after a similar effort turned bloody. Finance ministers and central bankers from the world's leading economies meeting in Busan, South Korea, agreed on the need to cooperate in fending off financial market turmoil and keeping the world economic recovery on track. Francesca Schiavone beat Samantha Stosur of Australia, 6-4, 7-6 (2), to win the French Open, giving Italy its first female champion at a Grand Slam tournament. Drosselmeyer pulled off an upset in the Belmont Stakes.
One year ago: President Barack Obama said he "absolutely makes no apologies" for seeking the release of Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl in a prisoner swap with the Taliban, vigorously defending an exchange that caused controversy. A gunman opened fire at Seattle Pacific University, killing one student and wounding two others. (Suspect Aaron Ybarra has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder.)
Today's birthdays: Actor-singer Bill Hayes is 90. Broadcast journalist Bill Moyers is 81. Former Canadian Prime Minister Joe Clark is 76. Author Margaret Drabble is 76. Country singer Don Reid (The Statler Brothers) is 70. Rock musician Fred Stone (AKA Fred Stewart) (Sly and the Family Stone) is 68. Rock singer Laurie Anderson is 68. Country singer Gail Davies is 67. Author Ken Follett is 66. Financial guru Suze Orman is 64. Rock musician Nicko McBrain (Iron Maiden) is 63. Jazz musician Kenny G is 59. Rock singer Richard Butler (Psychedelic Furs) is 59. Actor Jeff Garlin is 53. Actress Karen Sillas is 52. Actor Ron Livingston is 48. Singer Brian McKnight is 46. Rock musician Claus Norreen (Aqua) is 45. Actor Mark Wahlberg is 44. Actor Chad Allen is 41. Rock musician P-Nut (311) is 41. Actress Navi Rawat is 38. Actress Liza Weil is 38. Rock musician Pete Wentz (Fall Out Boy) is 36. Rock musician Seb Lefebvre (Simple Plan) is 34. Actress Amanda Crew is 29. Actress Sophie Lowe is 25.