Day in History: Community celebrates National Hospital Week
1991 – 25 years ago
• John Bhend, son of Donna and Roger Bhend of LeRoy, was named Minnesota Star Farmer at the state Future Farmers of American convention. Bhend is a freshman at the University of Minnesota, majoring in agricultural education.
• Scott R. Berg, son of Randy and Dixie Berg of Rochester, has received the Boys Scouts of America Eagle Award. Berg, a scout for nine years, is a member of Troop 106 at Longfellow Elementary.
1966 – 50 years ago
• The community of Rochester is celebrating National Hospital Week. Currently, Saint Marys Hospital has 1,328 employees. Rochester Methodist has 896 employees, and the Rochester State Hospital has 452 employees. Olmsted Community Hospital has 125 employees and 125 volunteers.
• Larry Edlund, a Hayfield senior, tossed his third consecutive no-hitter in Wasioja Conference baseball play in the Vikings' 12-0 victory over Wanamingo.
1941 – 75 years ago
• Airplane service to and from St. Paul, effective tomorrow, was announced by Northwest Airlines. The flight, which leaves Rochester at 4:10 p.m. daily, will stop at St. Paul, arriving there at 4:45 p.m. and at Minneapolis at 5:02 p.m.
• A new business establishment, first of its kind in Rochester, opened. The Rochester Paper Supply company has opened in the building formerly occupied by the Rochester Grocer company. The new wholesale firm will handle paper supplies of all kinds.
• Courtney Johnson, president of the Studebaker Corp. was in Rochester today to visit the Baker Motor Co.
1916 – 100 years ago
• The recent storm tipped over several corn cribs, blew hay stacks from the wagons, carried straw long distances and several small chicken coops were picked up and lodged some distance away.
• Irving Eckholdt, Julius Reiter, and Kerry Conley will be the speakers at the entertainment and good roads meeting that will be held at the Community Church in Douglass. A basket social will also be held and funds will be raised to repair some of the worst roads in that vicinity.
From news services
Ten years ago:Lawmakers demanded answers after a USA Today report that the National Security Agency was secretly collecting records of millions of ordinary Americans' phone calls; President George W. Bush sought to assure Americans their civil liberties were being "fiercely protected." A priest was convicted in Toledo, Ohio, of murdering a nun; the Rev. Gerald Robinson was immediately sentenced to 15 years to life in prison for the 1980 death of Sister Margaret Ann Pahl. (Robinson died in a prison hospice in 2014 at age 76.) Former heavyweight champion Floyd Patterson died in New Paltz, N.Y., at age 71.
Five years ago:Former hedge fund titan Raj Rajaratnam was convicted by a federal jury in New York in an insider-trading case of five counts of conspiracy and nine of securities fraud. (Rajaratnam was sentenced to 11 years in prison.) Two earthquakes struck southern Spain in quick succession, killing at least nine people, injuring dozens and causing major damage to buildings.
One year ago:Joyce Hardin Garrard, the Alabama woman convicted of running her 9-year-old granddaughter, Savannah Hardin, to death as punishment for lying about candy, was sentenced by a judge in Gadsden to life in prison without the possibility of parole. The NFL came down hard on its biggest star and its championship team, suspending Super Bowl MVP Tom Brady for the first four games of the season, fining the New England Patriots $1 million and taking away two draft picks as punishment for deflating footballs used in the AFC title game.
Today's birthdays:Comedian Mort Sahl is 89. Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan is 83. Jazz keyboardist Carla Bley is 80. Rock singer Eric Burdon (The Animals; War) is 75. Actress Shohreh Aghdashloo is 64. Actress Frances Fisher is 64. Actor Boyd Gaines is 63. Country musician Mark Herndon (Alabama) is 61. Actress Martha Quinn is 57. Country singer-musician Tim Raybon (The Raybon Brothers) is 53. Actor Tim Blake Nelson is 52. Actor Jeffrey Donovan is 48. Country musician Keith West (Heartland) is 48. Actor Nicky Katt is 46. Actor Coby Bell is 41. Cellist Perttu Kivilaakso is 38. Actor-singer Jonathan Jackson is 34. Rapper Ace Hood is 28. Musician Howard Lawrence (Disclosure) is 22.