Day in History: Crawford returns home after Harvard
1991 – 25 years ago
• The winners of the Southeast Minnesota Regional Spelling Bee in Stewartville were Emily Engen, an eighth-grader from Spring Grove, and Cory Ziegler, an eighth-grader from Lyle.
• "Cafe in the Park" at Apache Mall opened to complete the second phase of a $15 million expansion of the regional shopping center. The new food court could eventually include as many as 14 shops, with 11 of them offering "sit-down" fare.
1966 – 50 years ago
• Bob Gorham, 6-foot-3 freshman guard from Washington, D.C., is the only Rochester Junior College representative and one of three from the Southern Minnesota Junior College Conference who has gained a first-team position on the 1965-66 All Region 13 basketball team.
• New MGB British roadster import vehicles are available at Munger Import. Call or visit Frank Moody at 1812 Second Street SW.
1941 – 75 years ago
• Twelve pupils are using a newly constructed school at Lena, three miles west of Mazeppa. The school has electric lights, an automatic oil heater, many windows, and reconditioned blackboards and desks.
• Civil service examinations were held for research chemists, construction coordinator, student nurse, and an entomologist in taxonomy. Pay for a research chemist ranges from $2,600 to $5,600 a year.
1916 – 100 years ago
• Harold Crawford arrived in the city this morning from Boston, Mass., where he has been completing his architectural course for his master's degree from Harvard University.
• The drill and gymnasium exhibition will be given at the high school gymnasium. A gold dollar will be awarded the cadet who wins the competitive drill contest.
From news services
Ten years ago:Officials confirmed that Tom Fox, an American who was among four Christian activists kidnapped in Iraq, had been found slain. A NASA spacecraft, the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, slipped into orbit around the Red Planet. Ohio State, acknowledging eight of nine violations alleged by the NCAA, was placed on three years' probation. Opera singer Anna Moffo died in New York at age 73.
Five years ago:The House Homeland Security Committee examined Muslim extremism in America during a hearing punctuated by tearful testimony and angry recriminations. (Chairman Peter King, R-N.Y., accused U.S. Muslims of doing too little to help fight terror in America; Democrats warned of inflaming anti-Muslim sentiment.)
One year ago:Breaking her silence in the face of a growing controversy over her use of a private email address and server, Hillary Rodham Clinton conceded that she should have used government email as secretary of state but insisted she had not violated any federal laws or Obama administration rules. A U.S. Army helicopter crashed in dense fog during a training exercise at Eglin Air Force Base in Florida, killing seven elite Marines and four experienced soldiers. A jury in Los Angeles awarded Marvin Gaye's children nearly $7.4 million after determining singers Robin Thicke and Pharrell Williams had plagiarized their father's song "Got to Give It Up" to create "Blurred Lines," the biggest hit song of 2013 (Thicke and Williams said they would appeal the judgment).
Today's birthdays:Talk show host Ralph Emery is 83. Bluegrass/country singer-musician Norman Blake is 78. Actor Chuck Norris is 76. Playwright David Rabe is 76. Singer Dean Torrence (Jan and Dean) is 76. Actress Katharine Houghton is 74. Actor Richard Gant is 72. Rock musician Tom Scholz (Boston) is 69. Former Canadian Prime Minister Kim Campbell is 69. TV personality/businesswoman Barbara Corcoran (TV: "Shark Tank") is 67. Actress Aloma Wright is 66. Blues musician Ronnie Earl (Ronnie Earl and the Broadcasters) is 63. Producer-director-writer Paul Haggis is 63. Alt-country/rock musician Gary Louris is 61. Actress Shannon Tweed is 59. Pop/jazz singer Jeanie Bryson is 58. Actress Sharon Stone is 58. Rock musician Gail Greenwood is 56. Magician Lance Burton is 56. Movie producer Scott Gardenhour is 55. Actress Jasmine Guy is 54. Rock musician Jeff Ament (Pearl Jam) is 53. Music producer Rick Rubin is 53. Britain's Prince Edward is 52. Rock singer Edie Brickell is 50. Actor Stephen Mailer is 50. Actor Philip Anthony-Rodriguez is 48. Actress Paget Brewster is 47. Actor Jon Hamm is 45. Country singer Daryle Singletary is 45. Rapper-producer Timbaland is 44. Actor Cristian (kris-tee-AHN') de la Fuente is 42. Rock musician Jerry Horton (Papa Roach) is 41. Actor Jeff Branson is 39. Singer Robin Thicke is 39. Actress Bree Turner is 39. Olympic gold medal gymnast Shannon Miller is 39. Contemporary Christian singer Michael Barnes (Red) is 37. Actor Edi Gathegi is 37. Rock musician Matt Asti (MGMT) is 36. Country singer Carrie Underwood is 33. Actress Olivia Wilde is 32. Rhythm-and-blues singer Emeli Sande is 29. Country singer Rachel Reinert is 27. Actress Emily Osment is 24.