Day in History: Flooding top news story of 1965
1990 – 25 years ago
• Donations to local charities picked up substantially in the last few days before Christmas, allowed many to meet their 1990 goals. The Salvation Army raised about $150,000 so it could help hundreds of local residents. Toys for Tots went over its goal of 5,000 toys.
• Deborah Krage, of Winona, was sworn in as a member of the Winona City Council to fill in for her husband, Gerry who was called to active duty as part of Operation Desert Shield. She will serve until he returns.
1965 – 50 years ago
• Major spring flooding that caused millions of dollars in damage was chosen as the top news story in 1965 in southeastern Minnesota. The floods brought record crests on the Mississippi and Zumbro rivers. Other top stories included May tornadoes in Houston and Fillmore counties, new school construction in St. Charles, Lewiston, Byron and Rochester; and the end of passenger train service to Kenyon, Hayfield, Dodge Center and West Concord.
• Dave Daugherty, who broke every individual basketball record while at Rochester John Marshall High School, was awarded the 1964-65 athlete of the year at Monday's Rochester Quarterbacks Club meeting at Michaels. Daugherty is now a freshman at College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Va.
1940 – 75 years ago
• Rochester officials are looking back at a busy year that included widening and resurfacing of five streets, additional need for city utilities and heavy use of parks.
• On the agenda for 1941 is consideration of changes in the 36-year-old city charter, as well as a new city warehouse, improvement of North Broadway and an ornamental iron rail fence on South Broadway along the Zumbro River.
1915 – 100 years ago
• William McCoy, general ticket seller at the Great Western rail station, is enjoying a few days off with a visit to Minneapolis.
• The date for the annual firemen's ball has been determined and will be held Jan. 20, 1916 at the Masonic Hall. Fakler's Orchestra has been secured to provide the music.
From news services
Ten years ago: International monitors said they would review Iraq's parliamentary elections in response to fraud complaints by Sunni Arab and secular Shiite groups.
Five years ago: The Obama administration expelled Venezuela's ambassador to the United States, a day after Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez said he would not allow diplomat Larry Palmer to become the U.S. ambassador to his country. Suicide bombers succeeded in killing Iraqi police commander Lt. Col. Shamil al-Jabouri, who was renowned in the tense northern city of Mosul for his relentless pursuit of al-Qaida. Character actor Bill Erwin, 96, whose nearly seven-decade career included his memorable role as the grumpy old man on television's "Seinfeld," died in suburban Los Angeles.
One year ago: President Barack Obama, in an NPR interview, issued a warning to congressional Republicans set to take control of both houses of Congress, saying he had a veto pen, and would not be afraid to use it. A man with a lengthy criminal record killed six adults and two young children before taking his own life in Edmonton, Alberta.
Today's birthdays: Country singer Rose Lee Maphis is 93. Actress Dina Merrill is 92. Actress Inga Swenson is 83. ABC newscaster Tom Jarriel is 81. Actress Mary Tyler Moore is 79. Actress Barbara Steele is 78. Actor Jon Voight is 77. Country singer Ed Bruce is 76. Rock musician Ray Thomas is 74. Singer Marianne Faithfull is 69. Jockey Laffit Pincay, Jr. is 69. Actor Ted Danson is 68. Actor Jon Polito is 65. Singer-actress Yvonne Elliman is 64. Actress Patricia Clarkson is 56. Comedian Paula Poundstone is 56. Rock singer-musician Jim Reid (The Jesus and Mary Chain) is 54. Actor Michael Cudlitz is 51. Rock singer Dexter Holland (The Offspring) is 50. Actor-comedian Mystro Clark is 49. Actor Jason Gould is 49. CNN anchor Ashleigh Banfield is 48. Movie director Andy Wachowski is 48. Actress Jennifer Ehle is 46. Actor Patrick Fischler is 46. Rock singer-musician Glen Phillips is 45. Actor Kevin Weisman is 45. Actor Jude Law is 43. Actress Maria Dizzia (TV: "Orange is the New Black") is 41. Actor Mekhi Phifer is 41. Actor Shawn Hatosy is 40. Actress Katherine Moennig is 38. Actor Diego Luna is 36. Country singer Jessica Andrews is 32. Actress Jane Levy is 26. Singer-actor-dancer Ross Lynch is 20.