Day in History: Goose colony grows, 2,400 drop in for winter
1989 – 25 years ago
• Tiffany Prow, a Lourdes sophomore, is the first girl to play hockey in Rochester on the high school level. She's playing defense on the Eagles junior varsity.
• The Allegro School of Dance has opened in Rochester. The owner is Janet Johnson. The school offers ballet, pointe, creative tap, jazz and modern dance classes for children and adults.
• First District Congressman Tim Penny says he will return a recently approved 33 percent pay increase to the U.S. Treasury or give it to charity. The House voted 252-174 to approve the controversial bill. The Senate voted to give themselves a 9.7 percent cost of living increase.
1964 – 50 years ago
• The Pine Island Cheese Mart has opened at 120 1st Ave. in Rochester. Gift boxes and hampers of fine natural cheeses are available.
• Walter F. Mondale, new senator-designate is back in Minnesota after looking over his new Washington office. One of Mondale's hopes is that President Johnson's anti-poverty program can be extended into areas in Minnesota.
• Clinton Westrum, of Stewartville, will be honored for 10 years of service as a salesman for the Pioneer Hi-Bred Corn Co. of Des Moines, Iowa. He will receive an engraved trophy at a Pioneer party.
1939 – 75 years ago
• Rochester is likely to become one of the most spectacular sanctuaries for wild game in this country as Mayowood grows in popularity among Canadian wild geese as a winter refuge. Close to 2,400 wild geese are wintering at Mayowood this year, the fifth year they have sought refuge there. Around March 20, they will return to the upper region of the Hudson Bay, their breeding grounds.
• Talks on the Rochester police department's history, equipment, relationships and special functions were given at a meeting of the Rochester High School Senior Social Science club.
• The City Council has approved the painting of the interior of the city jail. They also authorized purchase of shelving for the basement vault of the city hall.
From news services
Ten years ago: After four decades in North Korea and less than one month in a U.S. military jail near Tokyo, U.S. Army deserter Charles Jenkins became a free man. The Ukraine parliament declared the recently held presidential election invalid.
Five years ago: Tiger Woods crashed his SUV outside his Florida mansion, sparking widespread attention to reports of unfaithfulness to his wife, Elin Nordegren. (The couple divorced the following year.) Former President Bill Clinton and Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton announced to their friends daughter Chelsea's engagement to longtime boyfriend Marc Mezvinsky. Space shuttle Atlantis and its seven astronauts returned from the International Space Station with a smooth touchdown.
One year ago: In a short ceremony inside their Chicago apartment, Vernita Gray and her partner of five years, Patricia Ewert, made Illinois history as they became the first gay couple to wed under the state's new law legalizing same-sex marriage. Rising anger over deadly drone attacks spurred a Pakistani political party to reveal the identity of what it said was the top U.S. spy in the country and demand he be tried for murder. A crane collapsed at a Sao Paulo stadium being constructed for the 2014 World Cup, killing two workers.
Today's birthdays: Author Gail Sheehy is 77. Academy Award-winning director Kathryn Bigelow (Film: "The Hurt Locker") is 63. TV host Bill Nye ("Bill Nye, the Science Guy") is 59. Actor William Fichtner is 58. Caroline Kennedy is 57. Academy Award-winning screenwriter Callie Khouri (Film: "Thelma and Louise") is 57. Rock musician Charlie Burchill (Simple Minds) is 55. Former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty is 54. Rock musician Charlie Benante (Anthrax) is 52. Rock musician Mike Bordin (Faith No More) is 52. Actor Fisher Stevens is 51. Actress Robin Givens is 50. Actor Michael Vartan is 46. Rapper Skoob (DAS EFX) is 44. Actor Kirk Acevedo is 43. Rapper Twista is 42. Actor Jaleel White is 38. Actor Arjay Smith (TV: "Perception") is 31. Actress Alison Pill is 29. Actress/singer Aubrey Peeples (TV: "Nashville"; "Sharknado") is 21.