Day in History: Home of Dr. William Worrell Mayo to be restored
1991 – 25 years ago
• A group of about 20 Mayo Clinic physicians are volunteering their time at the Dorothy Day Hospitality House to help those with medical problems who have no resources to find health care.
• The taming of the Zumbro River will continue this summer with heavy work near Mayo Civic Center and finishing touches on several other stages of the flood control project. The focus of this season's work will be on the Zumbro River from Silver Lake to the confluence of Bear Creek and Mayo Civic Center.
1966 – 50 years ago
• After being used since 1936 as the LeSueur Public Library, the one-time home of Dr. William Worrell Mayo, father of Drs. William J. and Charles H. Mayo, is being vacated by the library and will be restored to its original condition as a tourist attraction.
• Marilyn Krueger, John Marshall High School senior, has been named one of two state winners of the 1966 state high school United Nations contest.
1941 – 75 years ago
• Green fees for the Soldiers Field golf course will remain the same during the 1941 season. A season membership is $17.50 for unlimited golf and daily green fees are 50 cents for 18 holes.
• The annual report of the Rochester Park Board to the city shows that attendance and participation in activities in the park system the past year was nearly a half million.
1916 – 100 years ago
• All of the lights in the city went out for some time when one of the big electric generators at the electric power house burned out several coils. Churchgoers and theatrergoers sat in silence in the dark for quite a while.
• The first meeting of the Chemistry Club, recently organized at the high school, was held in the science lecture room of the high school. Miss Minna Marquardt gave a very instructive discourse on the principles of the Periodic Law.