Day in History: JM dress code viewed with skepticism
1990 – 25 years ago
• The Rochester Mayo High School Science Challenge team earned a first place finish at the regional meet. Jeff Henderson got a first in the periodic table quiz along with Shawn Carlon and Josh Kelly in the Trajectory contest.
• Hong Hou, a junior at Rochester Mayo, received a Gold Medal Award in the category of watercolor. Hong's work will be displayed at the 1990 Minnesota Scholastic Art Awards Exhibition.
1965 – 50 years ago
• The Mayo Clinic is running last-minute tests on its new whole body radiation counter. The machine is designed to detect low levels of radioactivity in patients and is so sensitive a radium watch dial or even wool or cotton clothing could scramble its electronics. Doctors hope to be able to diagnose kidney, heart and neurological disorders with the device.
• Blue jeans continue to be outlawed at Rochester John Marshall High School but the recent popular white Levis of the same style are considered acceptable. Many students are viewing the school dress code with skepticism. The school's reason for the dress code is that a student's appearance is important to his behavior and attitude in school.
1940 – 75 years ago
• The new 100 First Avenue building is welcoming tenants as they move into the structure. Fannie Farmer candy shop has found a home on the First Avenue side and radio station KROC is moving into new studios or the second floor. Offices for a group of 10 dentists are also being occupied. An official grand opening date has not been set.
• A discussion on mental health was heard by 55 Spring Valley Kiwanis club members at their weekly luncheon meeting in the Commercial hotel. Spring Valley physician Dr. Louis Katzberg addressed the group.
• C.A. Gish is the new manager of the Montgomery Ward store in Rochester. Mr. Gish comes from Miles City, Mont. and his family has found a home in Rochester.
From news services
Ten years ago:Fifteen months after Japan's last liftoff ended in a spectacular fireball, an orange and white H-2A rocket blasted off from a remote southern island, carrying a weather and navigation satellite into orbit. Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak ordered his country's constitution changed to allow presidential challengers in an upcoming fall election. A fragment of granite bearing the name "John" — all that remained of a memorial to the six people killed in the 1993 terror attack on the World Trade Center — was installed as the central piece of a new post-9/11 memorial. Former Time magazine editor and U.S. ambassador to Austria, Henry A. Grunwald, died in New York at age 82.
Five years ago:New York Gov. David Paterson announced he wouldn't seek re-election amid a criminal investigation over his handling of a domestic violence complaint against a top aide. (Investigators found no evidence of witness tampering.) At the Vancouver Olympics, the Americans reached 34 medals with a silver and a bronze in short-track speed skating.
One year ago:President Barack Obama, speaking in St. Paul, Minnesota, said he would ask Congress for $300 billion to update aging roads and railways. Republican Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer vetoed a bill pushed by social conservatives that would have allowed people with sincerely held religious beliefs to refuse to serve gays.
Today's Birthdays:Game show host Tom Kennedy is 88. Singer Fats Domino is 87. Country-rock musician Paul Cotton (Poco) is 72. Actor-director Bill Duke is 72. Singer Mitch Ryder is 70. Actress Marta Kristen (TV: "Lost in Space") is 70. Rock musician Jonathan Cain (Journey) is 65. Singer Michael Bolton is 62. The president of Turkey, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, is 61. Actor Greg Germann is 57. Sen. Tim Kaine, D-Va., is 57. Bandleader John McDaniel is 54. Actress Jennifer Grant is 49. Rock musician Tim Commerford (Audioslave) is 47. Singer Erykah Badu (EHR'-ih-kah bah-DOO') is 44. Rhythm-and-blues singer Rico Wade (Society of Soul) is 43. Olympic gold medal swimmer Jenny Thompson is 42. Rhythm-and-blues singer Kyle Norman (Jagged Edge) is 40. Actor Greg Rikaart is 38. Rock musician Chris Culos (O.A.R.) is 36. Rhythm-and-blues singer Corinne Bailey Rae is 36. Country singer Rodney Hayden is 35. Pop singer Nate Ruess (roos) (fun.) is 33. Tennis player Li Na is 33. Actor Alex Heartman is 25. Actress Taylor Dooley is 22.