Day in History: New armory nears completion
1990 – 25 years ago
• Ex-Rochester John Marshall standout Linda Barsness has continued to excel on the volleyball court and she was also named to the 1990 Big Eight Conference All-Academic team.
• Rochester Lourdes was ranked No. 1 in the Minnesota Full-Court Press newspaper's pre-season girls high school Class A basketball poll.
1965 – 50 years ago
The Rochester Police Department received no calls or complaints from 3:20 a.m. to noon today. A veteran officer said it does happen occasionally but not very often.
• Rochester John Marshall landed six players on the All-Big Nine football team. Named were Bryce Kommerstad, Bob Ward, Gus Barbes, Mike Polkowske, Tom White and Gary Kreter. Named to the team from Winona were Gary Addington and Todd Spencer.
1940 – 75 years ago
• With the recent snowstorm and frigid weather, falls on the street and traffic collisions have sent several local people to Kahler and Colonial hospitals.
• Bishop Francis M. Kelly, of Winona, confirmed a large class of children and adults of both St. John's and St. Francis of Assisi parishes in St. John's church. The class consisted of 240 children and 30 adults.
1915 – 100 years ago
• Workmen are working on the roofing on the new Armory on North Broadway. The brick work on some parts of the building have been completed, and only the front part and the turret remain unfinished.
• Harold Crawford arrived in Rochester this week from Boston, Mass., where he has been employed in the architectural work. Mr. Crawford will spend the Christmas holidays with his mother, Mrs. C.S. Crawford.
From news services
Ten years ago: In a stinging defeat for President George W. Bush, Senate Democrats blocked passage of a new Patriot Act to combat terrorism at home. (The result was a revised Patriot Act signed by Bush in March 2006.) Actor John Spencer, who'd played the powerful chief of staff on TV's "The West Wing," died in Los Angeles at age 58. Singer-actor Enzo Stuarti died in Midland, Texas, at age 86. Jessica Simpson filed for divorce from Nick Lachey.
Five years ago: The House joined the Senate in passing a massive bipartisan tax package preventing a big New Year's Day tax hike for millions of Americans. Interviewer Larry King, joined by a parade of former guests, concluded his CNN talk show after 25 years.
One year ago: Taliban gunmen stormed a military-run school in the northwestern Pakistan city of Peshawar, killing at least 148 people, mostly children. Nick Bjugstad scored the game-winning goal in the longest shootout in NHL history to lift the Florida Panthers over the Washington Capitals 2-1.
Today's birthdays: Civil rights attorney Morris Dees is 79. Actress Joyce Bulifant is 78. Actress Liv Ullmann is 77. CBS news correspondent Lesley Stahl is 74. TV producer Steven Bochco is 72. Former Nevada Gov. Jim Gibbons is 71. Pop musician Tony Hicks (The Hollies) is 70. Pop singer Benny Andersson (ABBA) is 69. Actor Ben Cross is 68. Rock singer-musician Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top) is 66. Rock musician Bill Bateman (The Blasters) is 64. Actor Xander Berkeley is 60. Actress Alison LaPlaca is 56. Actor Sam Robards is 54. Actor Jon Tenney is 54. Actor Benjamin Bratt is 52. Country singer-songwriter Jeff Carson is 52. Actor-comedian JB Smoove is 50. Actor Daniel Cosgrove is 45. Rhythm-and-blues singer Michael McCary is 44. Actor Jonathan Scarfe is 40. Actress Krysten Ritter is 34. Actress Zoe Jarman is 33. Country musician Chris Scruggs is 33. Actor Theo James is 31. Actress Amanda Setton is 30. Rock musician Dave Rublin (American Authors) is 29. Actress Hallee Hirsh is 28. Actress Anna Popplewell is 27