Day in History: New hospital at Lake City opens
1989 – 25 years ago
• Full-time or part-time jobs are available at the Rochester Burger King Restaurants. Starting pay is $4.25 an hour for full time. Free uniforms are provided.
• A Wanamingo native and his two children were among 176 survivors of a DC-10 plane crash in Sioux City. The plane made an emergency crash landing and cartwheeled in a ball of fire. There were 111 fatalities.
• Seven Rochester golfers will play in the Minnesota State Amateur Tournament being held at the Rochester Golf and Country Club. Playing are Greg Avant, Tom Murphy, Mitch Moore, Donald Roberts, Bruce Adams, Douglas Crawford, and Glenn Alexander.
1964 – 50 years ago
• The Fillmore Free Methodist Church in Wykoff will observe its 50th anniversary this weekend with a number of activities, including the showing of Billy Graham's new film, "Lucia," which was shot in Buenos Aires.
• Mayo Savold, director of Augsburg College Concert Band, recently presented Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy a record album of the band's John F. Kennedy Memorial Concert that was recorded during a home concert following their 1964 tour.
• The Olmsted County Board of Commissioners has asked the owners of the Sandy Point Resort along Lake Zumbro to invoke restrictions on areas for swimming and boating to improve safety in the area.
1939 – 75 years ago
• Mr. and Mrs. Milton Benedix of Mantorville, celebrated the completion of their new barn with a cafeteria style dinner for 150 guests in the barn. The barn is 38 x 68 feet and houses 28 cows, eight horses and a number of calves.
• Patients were moved to Lake City's $86,000 municipal hospital. The new hospital has a capacity of 30 beds which is double the capacity of the old frame hospital.
• A tour of the Model Laundry operation was viewed by members of the Rochester Rotary club following their regular luncheon meeting.
From news services
Ten years ago: President George W. Bush sketched out a second-term domestic agenda, telling campaign donors he would shift focus to improving high school education and expanding access to health care. Academy Award-winning composer Jerry Goldsmith died in Beverly Hills, California, at age 75. Richard Bloch (cq), co-founder of H&R Block, the world's largest tax preparer, died in Kansas City, Missouri, at age 78.
Five years ago: The Senate voted to terminate further production of the Air Force's topline F-22 fighter jets. Prosecutors in Cambridge, Massachusetts, dropped a disorderly conduct charge against prominent black scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr., who was arrested by a white officer at his home near Harvard University after a report of a break-in. John "Marmaduke" Dawson, a longtime Grateful Dead collaborator and co-founder of New Riders of the Purple Sage, died in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico at 64. Taco Bell mascot Gidget the Chihuahua died in Santa Clarita, California, at 15.
One year ago: Belgium's King Albert abdicated after a 20-year reign; his son Philippe took over as the fractured nation's seventh king. Phil Mickelson won the British Open, shooting a 5-under 66 to match the best round of the tournament and win his first claret jug. Britain's Chris Froome won the 100th Tour de France.
Today's birthdays: Singer Kay Starr is 92. Movie director Norman Jewison is 88. Former Attorney General Janet Reno is 76. Actress Patricia Elliott is 72. Actor David Downing is 71. Actor Edward Herrmann is 71. Actor Leigh Lawson is 69. Actor Wendell Burton is 67. Actor Art Hindle is 66. Singer Yusuf Islam (formerly Cat Stevens) is 66. Cartoonist Garry Trudeau is 66. Comedian-actor Robin Williams is 63. Actor Jamey Sheridan is 63. Rock singer-musician Eric Bazilian (The Hooters) is 61. Comedian Jon Lovitz is 57. Actor Lance Guest is 54. Actor Matt Mulhern is 54. Comedian Greg Behrendt is 51. Rock musician Koen Lieckens (K's Choice) is 48. Soccer player Brandi Chastain is 46. Rock singer Emerson Hart is 45. Actress Alysia Reiner (TV: "Orange is the New Black") is 44. Country singer Paul Brandt is 42. Actress Ali Landry is 41. Actor-comedian Steve Byrne is 40. Actor Justin Bartha is 36. Actor Josh Hartnett is 36. Contemporary Christian singer Brandon Heath is 36. Actress Sprague Grayden is 36. Reggae singer Damian Marley is 36. Country singer Brad Mates (Emerson Drive) is 36. MLB All-Star pitcher CC Sabathia is 34. Singer Blake Lewis ("American Idol") is 33. Rock musician Will Berman (MGMT) is 32. Rock musician Johan Carlsson (Carolina Liar) is 30. Actress Vanessa Lengies is 29. Actor Jamie Waylett ("Harry Potter" films) is 25.