Day in HIstory: New phone service to be 'first in the state”
1990 – 25 years ago
• Great Clips has opened a new shop next to Target. Great Clips is hiring cosmetologists at $5 to $6 per hour with benefits.
• The Bonanza Restaurant in Rochester is now hiring. Starting pay is $5 per hour.
1965 – 50 years ago
• Rochester attorney Dennis R. Peterson has been appointed Olmsted County chairman for the 1966 Heart Fund campaign. The slogan for the campaign is "Give So More Will Live."
• Installation of new electronic equipment for Northwestern Bell Telephone Co. in Rochester marks a "first" for Minnesota. When installed and placed into service, it will make possible the introduction of touch-tone calling to customers. Ten push buttons on the phone will replace the conventional rotary dial.
1940 – 75 years ago
• Gov. John E. Miles, of New Mexico, entered the Mayo Clinic today for a general check-up. He arrived by Chicago North Western train this morning and is staying at the Kahler Hotel.
• Appointment of Dr. R. M. Wilder of the Mayo Clinic as chairman of a new national committee of food and nutrition was announced in Washington. The new committee is comprised of some of the nation's leading scientific experts on food.
1915 – 100 years ago
• The entire Rochester Fire Department will be on dress parade, according to Fire Chief Parker. The parade will take place on the day in which the volunteer firemen will give their annual ball. The auto truck, the chief's Ford and the hose wagon all will be decorated for the occasion.
• The next regular and annual meeting of the Olmsted County Medical Society will be held in the city this week at the new Commercial club building.
From news services
Ten years ago: The trial of Saddam Hussein resumed in Baghdad with gruesome testimony from witnesses who offered accounts of killings and torture. French engineer Bernard Planche was kidnapped in Baghdad (he later was freed). Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice denied the United States was engaged in torture or lesser forms of cruel treatment against terror suspects. ABC News named Elizabeth Vargas and Bob Woodruff co-anchors of "World News Tonight," replacing the late Peter Jennings. Edward L. Masry, the personal-injury lawyer portrayed by Albert Finney in the Oscar-winning movie "Erin Brockovich," died in Thousand Oaks, Calif., at age 73.
Five years ago: On the eve of talks with six world powers, Iran announced it had produced its first batch of locally mined uranium ore for enrichment. The Kennedy Center Honors paid tribute to Paul McCartney, Oprah Winfrey, Merle Haggard, Broadway composer Jerry Herman and dancer Bill T. Jones. Serbia celebrated its first Davis Cup title, becoming only the second unseeded nation to win the trophy when Viktor Troicki beat Michael Llodra 6-2, 6-2, 6-3 to complete a 3-2 comeback win over France. Football player-turned-sportscaster Don Meredith, 72, died in Santa Fe, N.M.
One year ago: President Barack Obama announced his choice of Ashton Carter to be the new U.S. secretary of defense. NASA's newest space vehicle, Orion, accomplished its first test flight, shooting out more than 3,600 miles from Earth for a hyperfast, hot return. Rolling Stone magazine issued an apology casting doubt on its story of a young woman who said she'd been gang-raped at a fraternity party at the University of Virginia, saying it since had learned of "discrepancies" in her account.
Today's birthdays: Singer Little Richard is 83. Author Joan Didion is 81. Author Calvin Trillin is 80. Actor Jeroen Krabbe is 71. Opera singer Jose Carreras is 69. Pop singer Jim Messina is 68. College Football Hall of Famer and former NFL quarterback Jim Plunkett is 68. World Golf Hall of Famer Lanny Wadkins is 66. Actress Morgan Brittany is 64. Actor Brian Backer is 59. Pro and College Football Hall of Famer Art Monk is 58. Country singer Ty England is 52. Rock singer-musician John Rzeznik (The Goo Goo Dolls) is 50. Country singer Gary Allan is 48. Comedian-actress Margaret Cho is 47. Writer-director Morgan J. Freeman is 46. Actress Alex Kapp Horner is 46. Rock musician Regina Zernay (Cowboy Mouth) is 43. Actress Paula Patton is 40. Actress Amy Acker is 39. Actor Nick Stahl is 36. Rhythm-and-blues singer Keri Hilson is 33. Actor Gabriel Luna is 33. Actor Frankie Muniz is 30. Actor Ross Bagley is 27.