Day in History: Public memorial services in Rochester for Gov. Hammond
1915: Rochester will pay public homage to the memory of Gov. Winfield Scott Hammond, who died yesterday in Louisiana. The public service will be held at the Metropolitan theater at the same hour that the funeral of Mr. Hammond will be held in St....
1990 – 25 years ago
• The Rochester Public Utilities Water Division is warning residents who are susceptible to freezing water pipes to let a faucet flow at about a quarter of a gallon a minute, which would create a stream the thickness of a pencil.
• It is possible that a cell phone might be in any truck, car or even a combine or tractor next year. The goal is closer as a company is now building the transmission towers and switching equipment that will permit cellular phones to be used in rural areas in Minnesota.
1965 – 50 years ago'
• Dr. Arthur H. Bulbulian, Mayo Medical Museum director, will retire after 32 years on Mayo Clinic's staff. Dr. Bulbulian has been described by his associates as "a genius in his field."
• Goodhue County Commissioners testified before a legislative claims committee to support a county claim of $13,500 against the state for costs involved in apprehending and prosecuting Red Wing Training School runaways.
1940 – 75 years ago
• The holiday dance given by the Association of Fellows in the Mayo Foundation was attended by 175 couples in the Mayo Civic Auditorium. Jimmy Smith and his orchestra of Waterloo, Iowa, provided the music.
• Francis Warner is visiting his parents in Rochester during his seven day furlough from his aeronautics course. Mr. Warner, who has been appointed a flying cadet will soon complete his course and report to Randolph Air Force Field in Texas.
1915 – 100 years ago
• During 1915, the average home cost in Rochester was $4,000. A. R. Cooke, a building contractor estimates that 200 new homes were built in the Rochester area in 1915.
• Rochester will pay public homage to the memory of Gov. Winfield Scott Hammond, who died yesterday in Louisiana. The public service will be held at the Metropolitan theater at the same hour that the funeral of Mr. Hammond will be held in St. James, Minn. The members of the Rochester Machine Gun Company will attend services, and the male choir of Calvary Episcopal Church will render musical selections. All places of business will be shut down for one hour.
From news services
Ten years ago: In central Indonesia, suspected Islamic militants set off a powerful bomb at a busy market frequented by Christians, killing seven people. Dick Clark, in his first television appearance since his stroke in 2004, helped ring in the new year in Times Square.
Five years ago: Tornadoes fueled by unusually warm air pummeled the South and Midwest, killing a total of eight people in Arkansas and Missouri. The body of federal defense consultant John Wheeler III, 66, was found in a Wilmington, Delaware, landfill; his death, ruled a homicide, remains under investigation.
One year ago: In one of his final acts as Maryland governor, Democrat Martin O'Malley announced that he would commute the sentences of four death-row inmates to life in prison without parole. A stampede at Shanghai's glitzy riverfront during New Year celebrations resulted in 36 deaths. Actor Edward Herrmann, 71, died at Memorial Sloan Kettering Hospital in New York.
Today's birthdays:TV producer George Schlatter is 86. Actor Sir Anthony Hopkins is 78. Actor Tim Considine (TV: "My Three Sons") is 75. Actress Sarah Miles is 74. Rock musician Andy Summers is 73. Actor Sir Ben Kingsley is 72. Producer-director Taylor Hackford is 71. Fashion designer Diane von Furstenberg is 69. Actor Tim Matheson is 68. Pop singer Burton Cummings is 68. Actor Joe Dallesandro is 67. Rock musician Tom Hamilton (Aerosmith) is 64. Actor James Remar is 62. Actress Bebe Neuwirth is 57. Actor Val Kilmer is 56. Singer Paul Westerberg is 56. Actor Don Diamont is 53. Rock musician Ric Ivanisevich (Oleander) is 53. Rock musician Scott Ian (Anthrax) is 52. Actress Gong Li is 50. Author Nicholas Sparks is 50. Actor Lance Reddick is 46. Pop singer Joe McIntyre is 43. Rock musician Mikko Siren (Apocalyptica) is 40. Rapper PSY (Park Jae-sang) is 38. Rock musician Bob Bryar is 36. Actor/singer Erich Bergen (Film/stage: "Jersey Boys") is 30. Olympic gold medal gymnast Gabby Douglas is 20.