Day in History: Rochester School District “town meeting” draws big crowd
1990 – 25 years ago
• Grand Meadow basketball star Slone Benson, the most prolific scorer in southeast Minnesota girls basketball history, has chosen Division II school North Dakota State to attend.
• Thunderstorms washed across much of southeastern Minnesota dumping as much as 5 inches in localized areas.
• A "town meeting" by the Rochester School District drew over 300 people who had questions about "outcome-based education." Other items under proposed changes are that sixth-graders would attend middle schools and ninth-graders would attend high school.
1965 – 50 years ago
• Approximately 2,300 country-western music fans greeted two performances of "Grand Ole Opry" great Marty Robbins and his band at the Mayo Civic Theater.
• Dr. Jan Tillisch, Mayo Clinic section head, who suffered a stroke while on vacation in Greece, has arrived home in Rochester and is recovering satisfactorily. Dr. Tillisch is a member and vice chairman of the AMA Council on Occupational Health and a member of the Committee on Aerospace Medicine.
• Effects are being made throughout the country to get surplus food programs established to aid the needy including Selma, Ala., where many blacks are reported to be in dire need because they have lost jobs as a result of their efforts to become registered voters.
1940 – 75 years ago
• Olmsted County's 31st 4-H club, the Farmington Flash club, was organized with 11 members at a meeting in the schoolhouse of District 120.
• Chatfield, Winona and Mabel won their divisions in the southeastern Minnesota district high school music contest and festival in the Chatfield school auditorium. Twenty-three high schools, 120 groups and 1,687 students were entered in the contest, which drew hundreds of spectators.
• Dr. Roy Tozier, director of secondary education at Winona State Teachers' College has been named principal of the Rochester senior high school.
From news services
Ten years ago:At his Texas ranch, President George W. Bush prodded Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Abdullah to help curb skyrocketing oil prices. The CIA's top weapons hunter in Iraq, Charles Duelfer, said in an addendum to his final report that his search for weapons of mass destruction had been "exhausted" without finding any. A packed commuter train jumped the tracks and hurtled into an apartment complex in western Japan, killing 107 people. A space capsule carrying a U.S.-Russian-Italian crew landed safely in northern Kazakhstan.
Five years ago:President Barack Obama made a pilgrimage to Billy Graham's mountainside home, concluding his North Carolina vacation with his first meeting with the ailing evangelist who had counseled commanders in chief since Dwight Eisenhower. An al-Qaida front group in Iraq confirmed the deaths of its two top leaders a week after a raid by Iraqi and U.S. security forces on the leaders' safe house near Tikrit, north of Baghdad. British writer Alan Sillitoe, 82, died in London.
One year ago:President Barack Obama, in a joint news conference in Seoul alongside South Korean President Park Geun-hye , said the U.S. stood "shoulder to shoulder" with its ally in refusing to accept a nuclearized North Korea. The United States and other nations in the Group of Seven said they'd agreed to "move swiftly" to impose additional economic sanctions on Russia in response to its actions in Ukraine. In a historic vote, Northwestern University football players cast secret ballots on whether to form the nation's first union for college athletes. (The results of the closely watched vote have yet to be released.)
Today's Birthdays:Actor Al Pacino is 75. Ballroom dance judge Len Goodman ("Dancing with the Stars") is 71. Rock musician Stu Cook (Creedence Clearwater Revival) is 70. Singer Bjorn Ulvaeus (ABBA) is 70. Actress Talia Shire is 70. Actor Jeffrey DeMunn is 68. Rock musician Steve Ferrone (Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers) is 65. Country singer-songwriter Rob Crosby is 61. Actor Hank Azaria is 51. Rock singer Andy Bell (Erasure) is 51. Rock musician Eric Avery is 50. Country musician Rory Feek (Joey + Rory) is 50. TV personality Jane Clayson is 48. Actress Renee Zellweger is 46. Actress Gina Torres is 46. Actor Jason Lee is 45. Actor Jason Wiles is 45. Actress Emily Bergl is 40. Actor Jonathan Angel is 38. Actress Marguerite Moreau is 38. Singer Jacob Underwood is 35. Actress Melonie Diaz is 31. Actress Sara Paxton is 27. Actress Allisyn Ashley Arm is 19.