Day in History: Rochester State Junior College has record enrollment
1991 – 25 years ago
• Mark Noble, who won the season's first four modified features at Dodge County Speedway, won Sunday's nights feature race during the MSI stock car racing card at the Kasson track.
• Former President Reagan and his wife, Nancy, are scheduled to arrive in Rochester tomorrow for routine examinations at the Mayo Clinic. Rochester police will assist with security for the Reagans at the airport and at the Kahler.
1966 – 50 years ago
• Rochester State Junior College expects to open its doors to a record 1,576 students in September. Fourteen new instructors will join a faculty bringing the total to 59 teachers and four college administrators.
• The Farmers Cooperative Elevator of Stewartville has purchased an option to buy Dill Co. Elevators at Elgin and Eyota. The price for these two properties has been set at $208,000.
1941 – 75 years ago
• Rochester High School football coach George Haun announced that equipment will be handed out to players this weekend and the first practice will be Monday. Two practices are scheduled daily and all boys hoping to make the team must participate in daily practices. The season opens in two weeks when Rochester travels north to take on Duluth Central.
• Two of the state's outstanding fast pitch hurlers will be in town for a double header at Soldiers Field. "King Carl" Toensing and Bobby Eggleton and their powerhouse St. Paul team will face the local O&O Sporting Goods Store.
1916 – 100 years ago
• Mrs. Sarah Gorton, one of the earliest pioneers of Olmsted County, has died in Eyota. She was born in New York in 1833 and came to Rochester when she was young. She had previously remembered that when she and her husband arrived there were but six houses to mark what has now grown to be a residing place of over 11,000.
• A Y.M.C.A. camp will be held at Lake Francis in Elysian, Minn. Any boy of good character is eligible. The cost of the camp is $10 for ten days which includes car fare, boats, food, etc.
• Farmers north of Mantorville seem to know how to grow the big corn. H.C. Culver showed a stalk which he had cut in his field, which was nearly 12 feet long.
From news services
Ten years ago:Israeli commandos raided a Hezbollah stronghold deep in Lebanon. (Israel said the raid was launched to stop arms smuggling from Iran and Syria to the militant Shiite fighters; Lebanon called the operation a "flagrant violation" of a U.N. truce.)
Five years ago:Three men — Damien Echols, Jason Baldwin and Jesse Misskelley — who'd spent nearly two decades in prison for the nightmarish slayings of three Cub Scouts in Arkansas, went free after they agreed to a legal maneuver allowing them to maintain their innocence while acknowledging prosecutors had enough evidence against them. Danell Leyva beat two-time defending champion Jonathan Horton for his first title at the U.S. gymnastics championships in St. Paul, Minnesota.
One year ago:Longtime Subway pitchman Jared Fogle agreed in federal court in Indianapolis to plead guilty to allegations that he'd paid for sex acts with minors and received child pornography. (Fogle pleaded guilty in Nov. 2015 to one count each of distributing and receiving child porn and traveling to engage in illicit sexual conduct with a child, and was sentenced to more than 15 years in prison.) Islamic State militants beheaded 81-year-old Khaled al-Asaad, a leading Syrian antiquities scholar who'd spent most of his life looking after the ancient ruins of Palmyra.
Today's birthdays:Actor L.Q. Jones is 89. Actress Debra Paget is 83. USTA Eastern Tennis Hall of Famer Renee Richards is 82. Former MLB All-Star Bobby Richardson is 81. Actress Diana Muldaur is 78. Rock musician Ginger Baker (Cream, Blind Faith) is 77. Singer Johnny Nash is 76. Actress Jill St. John is 76. Singer Billy J. Kramer is 73. Country singer-songwriter Eddy Raven is 72. Rock singer Ian Gillan (Deep Purple) is 71. Former President Bill Clinton is 70. Actor Gerald McRaney is 69. Tipper Gore, wife of former Vice President Al Gore, is 68. Actor Jim Carter is 68. Rock musician John Deacon (Queen) is 65. Actor-director Jonathan Frakes is 64. Political consultant Mary Matalin is 63. Actor Peter Gallagher is 61. Actor Adam Arkin is 60. Singer-songwriter Gary Chapman is 59. Actor Martin Donovan is 59. Pro Football Hall-of-Famer Anthony Munoz is 58. Rhythm-and-blues singer Ivan Neville is 57. Actor Eric Lutes is 54. Actor John Stamos is 53. Actress Kyra Sedgwick is 51. Actor Kevin Dillon is 51. Country singer Lee Ann Womack is 50. TV reporter Tabitha Soren is 49. Country singer-songwriter Mark McGuinn is 48. Actor Matthew Perry is 47. Country singer Clay Walker is 47. Rapper Fat Joe is 46. Olympic gold medal tennis player Mary Joe Fernandez is 45. Actress Tracie Thoms is 41. Actor Callum Blue is 39. Country singer Rissi Palmer is 35. Actress Erika Christensen is 34. Actress Melissa Fumero is 34. Pop singer Missy Higgins is 33. Actor Peter Mooney is 33. Actress Tammin Sursok is 33. Country singer Karli Osborn is 32. Olympic silver medal snowboarder Lindsey Jacobellis is 31. Actor J. Evan Bonifant is 31. Rapper Romeo is 27.