Day in History: RTC holds last commencement before merger
1991 – 25 years ago
• Commencement for about 400 Rochester Technical College students was held at the Mayo Civic Auditorium. The ceremony marked the last for RTC as the college officially merges with Austin and Faribault to become Minnesota Riverland-Technical College.
• Lt. Gov. Joanell Dystad met with city and county officials, toured IBM Corp. and Mayo Clinic and delivered the commencement address for Rochester Technical College.
1966 – 50 years ago
• The Silver Mittens junior boxing tournament will take place this weekend at the Silver Lake fire hall gym. Nearly 100 boys will compete in the event. The Silver Mittens is an extension of the Golden Gloves.
• Services will be held for the first time in the new First Congregational Church at Lake City. The new church houses a fellowship hall, eight classrooms, a minister's study, a kitchen and a dining hall.
1941 – 75 years ago
• Twenty students received diplomas during commencement exercises of Lourdes High School in St. John's Catholic Church. Girl graduates were gowned in floor length white dresses with large white hats. Miss Ella Timmons was awarded a scholarship to the College of St. Teresa for having the highest average for four years.
• Clinton DeWitt, baggage man in Rochester for the past 37 years at the Chicago Great Western depot, will retire. He has checked baggage for many prominent persons including Dr. William W. Mayo. Mr. DeWitt has never missed a day on account of any injury and said that "Baggage smashing ain't what it used to be."
1916 – 100 years ago
• Superintendent H.A. Johnson of the Rochester public schools has announced that sixty-seven students will graduate from the high school this year.
• Mr. Burt Eaton has returned from the cities, bringing back with him his brand new Packard "Twin-six" automobile.
• In a report just released it shows that freight train employees have one of the most hazardous of all occupations in the United States. When a train employee leaves on his run, he is never sure when he or if he will return.
From news services
Ten years ago:The United Nations General Assembly concluded a conference on AIDS by promising to set "ambitious national targets," but falling short of setting exact financial goals for the fight against the disease. Canadian authorities announced they had foiled a homegrown terrorist attack to set off bombs outside Toronto's Stock Exchange, a building housing Canada's spy agency and a military base. Grateful Dead keyboardist Vince Welnick died in Sonoma County, California, at age 55.
Five years ago:Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney announced his bid for the Republican presidential nomination during an appearance in New Hampshire. A 73-year-old man opened fire in the Yuma, Arizona, area, killing five people and wounding one other before fatally shooting himself. A judge in Placerville, California, sentenced serial sex offender Phillip Garrido to life in prison for kidnapping and raping Jaycee Dugard; Garrido's wife, Nancy, received a decades-long sentence. Eighth-grader Sukanya Roy of South Abington Township, Pennsylvania, won the 84th Scripps National Spelling Bee.
One year ago:President Barack Obama signed the USA Freedom Act, extending three expiring surveillance provisions of the 9/11-era USA Patriot Act. FIFA President Sepp Blatter announced his resignation as head of soccer's governing body just four days after being re-elected to the post amid a widening corruption scandal.
Today's birthdays:Actress-singer Sally Kellerman is 79. Actor Ron Ely is 78. Actor Stacy Keach is 75. Rock musician Charlie Watts is 75. Actor Charles Haid is 73. Movie director Lasse Hallstrom is 70. Actor Jerry Mathers is 68. Actress Joanna Gleason is 66. Actor Dennis Haysbert is 62. Comedian Dana Carvey is 61. Actor Gary Grimes is 61. Pop musician Michael Steele is 61. Rock singer Tony Hadley (Spandau Ballet) is 56. Actor Liam Cunningham is 55. Actor Navid Negahban is 52. Singer Merril Bainbridge is 48. Rapper B-Real (Cypress Hill) is 46. Actress Paula Cale is 46. Actor Anthony Montgomery is 45. Actor-comedian Wayne Brady is 44. Actor Wentworth Miller is 44. Rock musician Tim Rice-Oxley (Keane) is 40. Actor Zachary Quinto is 39. Actor Dominic Cooper is 38. Actress Nikki Cox is 38. Actor Justin Long is 38. Actor Deon Richmond is 38. Actress Morena Baccarin is 37. Rhythm-and-blues singer Irish Grinstead (702) is 36. Rock musician Fabrizio Moretti (The Strokes) is 36. Olympic gold medal soccer player Abby Wambach is 36. Country singer Dan Cahoon (Marshall Dyllon) is 33. Singer-songwriter ZZ Ward is 30. Actress Brittany Curran is 26. Actor Sterling Beaumon is 21.