Day in History: Soldiers take to wearing wrist watches
1991 – 25 years ago
• More than 300 graduates from throughout the United States gathered at St. Marys Hospital for the St Marys School of Nursing Alumni Reunion. St. Marys School of Nursing, established in 1906, has graduated 3,865 students.
• Olmsted County day-care providers may have to stop letting children use unfiltered wading pools at their homes because the Minnesota Department of Human Services fears these type of pools may spread disease.
1966 – 50 years ago
• A goal of $364,500, including $9,500 for the Heart Fund, was set for the 1967 Untied Fund Campaign. The money will support 20 health, welfare and youth agencies which service Rochester and surrounding communities in Marion, Cascade and Haverhill townships.
• Ed Sullivan has arrived in Rochester to host the Festival of Arts variety/talent show. The 64-year-old entertainer and columnist has had a variety show for 18 years.
1941 – 75 years ago
• The Southern Minnesota Golf tournament championship played at Mankato was won by Arnie Osterberg, a young golfer from Rochester. Osterberg won the cup in a three-way playoff.
• At Boardman's Ice Cream on 308 South Broadway they have added Strawberry Zig Zag ice cream to the flavor selection. It is made of creamy vanilla, streaked with strawberry pulp.
1916 – 100 years ago
• A number of members of the Rochester Machine Gun Company have taken to the fad of wearing a wrist watch. Many who wear them claim they are not fancy but merely more convenience. Lt. Wright declares that a wrist watch is idea for a soldier in uniform and saves much time and trouble, especially in drill work.
• The weather was most unkind for the annual Gopher Count celebration at Viola. Rain, thunder and lightning not only caused havoc but most roads to the celebration became almost unpassable.
From news services
Ten years ago: During a visit to Hungary to commemorate the 1956 revolt against communism, President George W. Bush said war-weary Iraqis could learn from the Hungarians' long and bloody struggle against tyranny. The Bush administration confirmed it had gained access to international banking records as part of a classified program to choke off financial support for terrorism. The Red Cross admitted Israel as a member and allowed it to use a Star of David as its symbol.
Five years ago: President Barack Obama announced in a White House address that he would pull home 33,000 troops from Afghanistan by the following summer. James "Whitey" Bulger, the longtime fugitive Boston crime boss and fixture on the FBI's 10 Most Wanted list, was arrested in Santa Monica, California.
One year ago:The Obama administration released a report on global warming that said failure to act on climate change could cause an estimated 57,000 deaths a year in the United States from poor air quality by 2100. South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley said the Confederate flag should be removed from the grounds of the state capitol, reversing her position on the divisive symbol amid growing calls for it to be removed. Oscar-winning film composer James Horner, 61, was killed in the crash of his plane in Los Padres National Forest. Italian actress Laura Antonelli, 73, died in Rome.
Today's birthdays:Actress Prunella Scales (TV: "Fawlty Towers") is 84. Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., is 83. Singer-actor Kris Kristofferson is 80. Movie director John Korty is 80. Actor Michael Lerner is 75. Actor Klaus Maria Brandauer is 73. Fox News analyst Brit Hume is 73. Singer Peter Asher (Peter and Gordon) is 72. Actor David L. Lander is 69. Singer Howard "Eddie" Kaylan is 69. Singer-musician Todd Rundgren is 68. Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., is 67. Actress Meryl Streep is 67. Actress Lindsay Wagner is 67. Singer Alan Osmond is 67. Actor Murphy Cross is 66. Actor Graham Greene is 64. Pop singer Cyndi Lauper is 63. Actor Chris Lemmon is 62. Rock musician Derek Forbes is 60. Actor Tim Russ is 60. Rock musician Garry Beers (INXS) is 59. Actor-producer-writer Bruce Campbell is 58. Rock musician Alan Anton (Cowboy Junkies) is 57. Actress Tracy Pollan is 56. Environmental activist Erin Brockovich is 56. Rock singer-musician Jimmy Somerville is 55. Basketball Hall of Famer Clyde Drexler is 54. Actress Amy Brenneman is 52. Author Dan Brown is 52. Rock singer-musician Mike Edwards (Jesus Jones) is 52. Rock singer Steven Page is 46. Actor Michael Trucco is 46. Actress Mary Lynn Rajskub is 45. TV personality Carson Daly is 43. Rock musician Chris Traynor is 43. Country musician Jimmy Wallace is 43. Actor Donald Faison (FAY'-zahn) is 42. Actress Alicia Goranson is 42. Actor-comedian Mike O'Brien is 40. TV personality/actor Jai Rodriguez is 37. Americana singer-songwriter John Moreland is 31. Actress Lindsay Ridgeway is 31. Pop singer Dina Hansen (Fifth Harmony) (TV: "The X Factor") is 19.