Day in History: Spring Valley night club raided, closed
1990 – 25 years ago
• The "A" honor roll for the second quarter at Blooming Prairie High School for Grade 7 included Craig Angell, Jason Jacobusse, Virginia Janning, Bradley Nelson and Sara Prihoda.
• Don Skifter has been named Grand Meadow High School's Student of the Month for February. Skifter is involved in dramatics, speech, football, basketball and band. He is president of the class and an Eagle Scout.
1965 – 50 years ago
• About 50 area law enforcement officers attended crowd control training at the National Guard Armory. The class was part of President Lyndon Johnson's plan for the Guard and the FBI to train local officials across the country in riot tactics. FBI agents at the school noted recent demonstrations getting out of hand at Mankato State College and New Ulm.
• Rochester Community College's wrestling team won its 13th consecutive meet with a 34-0 romp over St. Paul Concordia. The RJC mat team is coached by John Philo.
• The Hill Foundation of St. Paul has pledged $31,500 toward equipping the planetarium at the new Mayo High School in Rochester. The planetarium will be among the innovations of the new school to be constructed in southeast Rochester. It will be designed to expand the science and mathematics curriculum.
1940 – 75 years ago
• A table at which Abraham Lincoln once ate will be donated to the newly opened Olmsted County Historical Society museum at the public library. The table is currently in the home of Charlotte McMurchy in Pleasant Grove, and has been in her family for 87 years. The McMurchy family once brought the campaigning Lincoln home for a meal. The family moved to Olmsted County in 1873.
• Rochester's Jack Graves captured the Northwest Golden Gloves flyweight title in front of 10,000 fans at the Minneapolis auditorium.
• A night club in Spring Valley was raided at midnight and closed after nine cases of beer were confiscated. The Rocky Dell club is also known as the Alcatraz.
From news services
Ten years ago: Israel's Cabinet gave final approval to the government's planned withdrawal from the Gaza Strip and four West Bank settlements. Former Presidents George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton traveled to Lampuuk, Indonesia, ground zero of tsunami devastation, where they promised survivors that more help would come. Jeff Gordon won his third Daytona 500. Allen Iverson was selected MVP of the NBA All-Star game, helping the Eastern Conference to a 125-115 victory. Death claimed actress Sandra Dee at age 62; musical actor John Raitt at age 88; and counterculture writer Hunter S. Thompson at age 67.
Five years ago: Alexander Haig, a soldier and statesman who'd held high posts in three Republican administrations and some of the U.S. military's top jobs, died in Baltimore at 85. Floods and mudslides on the Portuguese island of Madeira claimed more than 40 lives.
One year ago: Protesters advanced on police lines in the heart of the Ukrainian capital of Kiev, prompting government snipers to shoot and kill scores of people. In Sochi, Canada beat the U.S. 3-2 in overtime to win its 4th straight Olympic women's hockey gold. Adelina Sotnikova became Russia's first gold medalist in women's Olympic figure skating, defeating defending champion Yuna Kim of South Korea.
Today's birthdays: Gloria Vanderbilt is 91. Actor Sidney Poitier is 88. Racing Hall of Famer Bobby Unser is 81. Actress Marj Dusay is 79. Jazz-soul singer Nancy Wilson is 78. Racing Hall of Famer Roger Penske is 78. Singer-songwriter Buffy Sainte-Marie is 74. Hockey Hall-of-Famer Phil Esposito is 73. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., is 73. Movie director Mike Leigh is 72. Actress Brenda Blethyn is 69. Actress Sandy Duncan is 69. Rock musician J. Geils is 69. Actor Peter Strauss is 68. Rock singer-musician-producer Walter Becker (Steely Dan) is 65. Former British Prime Minister Gordon Brown is 64. Country singer Kathie Baillie is 64. Actor John Voldstad is 64. Newspaper heiress Patricia Hearst is 61. Actor Anthony Stewart Head is 61. Country singer Leland Martin is 58. Actor James Wilby is 57. Rock musician Sebastian Steinberg is 56. Comedian Joel Hodgson is 55. Basketball Hall-of-Famer Charles Barkley is 52. Rock musician Ian Brown (Stone Roses) is 52. Actor Willie Garson is 51. Actor French Stewart is 51. Actor Ron Eldard is 50. Model Cindy Crawford is 49. Actor Andrew Shue is 48. Actress Lili Taylor is 48. Singer Brian Littrell is 40. Actress Lauren Ambrose is 37. Actor Jay Hernandez is 37. Actress Chelsea Peretti (TV: "Brooklyn Nine-Nine") is 37. Country musician Coy Bowles is 36. Actress Majandra Delfino is 34. Singer-musician Chris Thile is 34. Actress-singer Jessie Mueller is 32. Actor Jake Richardson is 30. Singer Rihanna is 27. Actor Jack Falahee (TV: "How to Get Away With Murder") is 26.