Day in History: Stalin’s car on display at Miracle Mile Shopping Center
1990 – 25 years ago
• Rochester public schools continue to attract more students than they lose under the state's open enrollment law. For the 1990-91 school year, the school district received new requests from 67 students who want to enter and from 21 students who want to leave.
• A team of Mayo Clinic experts developed a list of 12 preventive measures that can contribute to overall health and well-being. The tips will be published in a four-page story in the September issues of Redbook magazine.
1965 – 50 years ago
• Josef Stalin and Mao Tse-tung's Russian ZIS car is on display at the Miracle Mile Shopping Center. The car was built for Stalin in 1950, and he presented the car to Mao Tse-tung at a 1951 rally in Moscow. The car was in Korea during the war and was captured.
• Lt. Gov. A.M. (Sandy) Keith, of Rochester, will be the guest speaker at an installation of officer's dinner of the Rochester Chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. Claude Thomas will be installed as president of the local chapter.
• The Rev. Douglas E. Oelke has been named new pastor at the Elim Baptist Church, 1815 38th St. NW, Rochester. Mr. Oelke comes to Rochester from Norway, Mich.
1940 – 75 years ago
• Building operations will begin soon for a new Church of St. Francis of Assisi and its accompanying rectory at the corner of Fourth Street and Eleventh Avenue SE. The cost of the structure will be $160,000 and when completed will seat 750 persons, and the choir gallery will accommodate an additional 75.
• Opening of the Olmsted County game refuge surrounding Rochester for training of bird dogs was announced today by Matt Saair, game warden. The warden stated that all bird dogs must be accompanied by owners or trainers and no weapons may be carried.
1915 – 100 years ago
• The Salvation Army has started religious operations in Rochester. At an open air meeting this past Sunday morning at least 300 persons were present, and in the evening, there were 500. The local barracks will be in the charge of Adjutant Anna Berg and Capt. Blanche Oxford.
From news services
Ten years ago: Federal Emergency Management Agency director Mike Brown resigned, three days after losing his onsite command of the Hurricane Katrina relief effort. At the start of his confirmation hearing, Supreme Court nominee John Roberts pledged to judge with humility and "without fear or favor" if approved as the nation's 17th chief justice.
Five years ago: The United States won its first world basketball championship since 1994, beating Turkey 81-64 in Istanbul behind a sensational performance from tournament MVP Kevin Durant, who scored 28 points. Lady Gaga swept the MTV Video Music Awards with eight wins, wearing a dress made of meat as she accepted the video of the year award for "Bad Romance." Movie director Claude Chabrol, one of the founders of the French New Wave movement, died in Paris at age 80.
One year ago: A South African judge found Oscar Pistorius guilty of culpable homicide, or negligent killing, in the shooting death of girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp and declared the double-amputee Olympian not guilty of murder. Ian Paisley, 88, the divisive Protestant firebrand preacher who had devoted his life to thwarting compromise with Catholics in Northern Ireland only to became a pivotal peacemaker in his twilight years, died in Belfast.
Today's birthdays: Actor Dickie Moore ("Our Gang") is 90. Actor Freddie Jones is 88. Actor Ian Holm is 84. U.S. Rep. Henry Waxman, D-Calif., is 76. Actress Linda Gray is 75. Singer Maria Muldaur is 73. Actor Joe Pantoliano is 64. Singer-musician Gerry Beckley (America) is 63. Original MTV VJ Nina Blackwood is 63. Rock musician Neil Peart (Rush) is 63. Actor Peter Scolari is 60. Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback is 59. Actress Rachel Ward is 58. Actress Amy Yasbeck is 53. Rock musician Norwood Fisher (Fishbone) is 50. Actor Darren E. Burrows is 49. Rock singer-musician Ben Folds (Ben Folds Five) is 49. Actor-comedian Louis C.K. is 48. Rock musician Larry LaLonde (Primus) is 47. Golfer Angel Cabrera is 46. Actor-singer Will Chase is 45. Actor Josh Hopkins is 45. Country singer Jennifer Nettles is 41. Actress Lauren Stamile ("Complications") is 39. Rapper 2 Chainz is 38. Actor Ben McKenzie is 37. Singer Ruben Studdard is 37. Basketball player Yao Ming is 35. Singer-actress Jennifer Hudson is 34. Actor Alfie Allen ("Game of Thrones") is 29. Actress Emmy Rossum is 29. Country singer Kelsea Ballerini is 22. Actor Colin Ford is 19.