Day in History: Thalia Copple named as queen of Mazeppa Butter Festival
1990 – 25 years ago
• The Rochester Area Chamber of Commerce selected three junior high students for the Emerging Leader Award. They are Tory Low of Willow Creek, Kelly Grant of Kellogg and George Caucutt of John Adams.
• Elissa Bill of Rochester Lourdes has been selected as representative to Girls' State. Dominic Dousa, also of Lourdes, will attend Boys' State. The Boys' and Girls' State will be held at Bethel College and St. John's, respectively, this summer.
1965 – 50 years ago
• Thalia Copple, a senior at Mazeppa High School, was selected from a field of 34 candidates to reign over the Mazeppa Butter Festival.
• When the next Gemini flight carries two astronauts into space, a Mayo Clinic aerospace medical researcher and a former Mayo Graduate School of Medicine fellow will contribute to the mission. The men are Dr. Earl H. Wood, head of Mayo Clinic's aerospace medical research team, and Dr. George Allen, who ended his Mayo fellowship here in 1963.
• About $250,000 in gold was carried to safety when fire struck the building in Owatonna housing the Josten casting department. The gold, used by the firm in making school class rings and other emblems, was stored at the rear of the building and carried out by company officials. Damage to the building was extensive.
1940 – 75 years ago
• Rural school teachers from throughout Olmsted County jammed the office of County Superintendent Forest Brandel today to submit their final reports for the school year. Next week, board examinations will be given to seventh- and eighth-graders.
• Rochester grade-school children are now being enrolled for summer music classes. Instruction includes second-grade cornet and clarinet, third-grade violin, fourth-grade flute, piccolo and violin and fifth-grade trombone and cello.
• Miss Lola Hanson, county public health nurse, is requesting that all mothers of pre-school children bring their children to the child health conference in the city hall from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
From news services
Ten years ago: French voters soundly rejected the European Union's proposed constitution, which was also defeated by the Dutch days later. In a deadly rampage at two farmhouses in Bellefontaine, Ohio, 18-year-old Scott Moody shot his grandparents, his mother and two friends before turning the gun on himself. Dan Wheldon won the Indianapolis 500 as Danica Patrick's electrifying run fell short (she finished fourth).
Five years ago: Dennis Hopper, the high-flying Hollywood wildman whose memorable career included an early turn in "Rebel Without A Cause" and an improbable smash hit with "Easy Rider," died in Los Angeles at age 74. Philadelphia's Roy Halladay threw the 20th perfect game in major league history, beating the Florida Marlins 1-0.
One year ago: Saying he wanted kids to play sports but play safely, President Barack Obama called for more and better research into the effects and treatment of concussions in youth athletes during a summit at the White House. The Food and Drug Administration required tanning beds and sun lamps to carry new warnings that they should not be used by anyone under age 18. Shelly Sterling signed a binding contract to sell the Los Angeles Clippers to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer for a record-breaking $2 billion. Actor and human rights activist Karlheinz Boehm, 86, died near Salzburg, Austria.
Today's birthdays:Former Baseball Commissioner Fay Vincent is 77. Motorsports Hall of Famer Al Unser is 76. Actor Kevin Conway is 73. Actor Helmut Berger is 71. Rock singer Gary Brooker (Procol Harum) is 70. Actor Anthony Geary is 68. Actor Cotter Smith is 66. Singer Rebbie Jackson is 65. Movie composer Danny Elfman is 62. Presidential assailant John W. Hinckley Jr. is 60. Singer LaToya Jackson is 59. Actor Ted Levine is 58. Actress Annette Bening is 57. Actor Rupert Everett is 56. Actor Adrian Paul is 56. Singer Melissa Etheridge is 54. Actress Lisa Whelchel is 52. Actress Tracey Bregman is 52. Rock musician Noel Gallagher is 48. Singer Jayski McGowan (Quad City DJ's) is 48. Actor Anthony Azizi is 46. Rock musician Chan Kinchla (Blues Traveler) is 46. Rock musician Mark Lee (Third Day) is 42. Cartoonist Aaron McGruder ("The Boondocks") is 41. Singer Melanie Brown (Spice Girls) is 40. Rapper Playa Poncho is 40. Latin singer Fonseca is 36. Actor Blake Foster is 30. Actor Brandon Mychal Smith is 26. Actress Kristen Alderson is 24. Actress Lorelei Linklater (Film: "Boyhood") is 22.