Day in History: U.S. 52-63 connecting link proposed
1989 – 25 years ago
• The Olmsted County Fair has been considered a rousing success. Attendance was up 10 percent, and close to 10,000 people attended the various grandstand shows.
• Spring Valley School District 237 and its 54 teachers have settled a two-year labor agreement. The base salary will range from $21,159 to a top salary of $33,132 for a teacher with a master's degree.
• Rich Bennerotte of West Concord took home $1,000 in prize money after winning the Enduro 250 auto race at the Olmsted County Fair. He took the checkered flag ahead of 99 competitors.
1964 – 50 years ago
• New plans for obtaining a two-mile connecting link between U.S. 52 and 63 just north of Rochester has been proposed. The cost could run close to $1 million. Currently, the only ways to get from U.S. 52 to 63 is via 14th Street in the city or Olmsted 14 about four miles north of the city.
• Rochester Junior College enrollment is running about 200 ahead of the 1963 record-breaking mark of 1,156. Rochester John Marshall High School is girding itself for a record 2,257 students this fall, the largest enrollment in the school's history.
1939 – 75 years ago
• Local student Ramer Holtan has been awarded a Harvard scholarship. Ramer was valedictorian of his class and participated in basketball, football, band and golf. His brother Harvey has been accepted and will enroll at West Point. Both were carrier boys for the Post-Bulletin newspaper for about four years.
• Forty members of the Elks drum corps have returned from Duluth where they participated in the parade for the state convention of the B.P.O.E.
• George Tome has been confirmed by the United States senate as the new postmaster at Pine Island.
From news services
Ten years ago: A court found two former top East German officials guilty of failing to stop the killing of people trying to escape across the Berlin Wall and sentenced them to probation. Funk legend Rick James, whose life and career were marred by cocaine addiction and a prison term for assault, died in Los Angeles at age 56.
Five years ago: Sonia Sotomayor was confirmed as the first Hispanic Supreme Court justice by a Senate vote of 68-31. John Hughes, 59, Hollywood's youth movie director of the 1980s and '90s, died in New York City. Sam, the 4-year-old koala who'd gained worldwide fame and sympathy when she was rescued during devastating wildfires in Australia, was euthanized after a veterinarian found the cysts that threatened her life were inoperable.
One year ago:President Barack Obama said during an appearance on NBC's "The Tonight Show" that he was "disappointed" that Russia had granted temporary asylum to National Security Agency leaker Edward Snowden, defying administration demands that the former government contractor be sent back to the U.S. to face espionage charges. U.S. Army Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan went on trial at Fort Hood, Texas, charged with killing 13 people and wounding 32 others in a 2009 attack. (Hasan, who admitted carrying out the attack, was convicted and sentenced to death.)
Today's birthdays: Actor-director Peter Bonerz is 76. Actress Louise Sorel is 74. Actor Michael Anderson Jr. is 71. Actor Ray Buktenica is 71. Actor Dorian Harewood is 64. Actress Catherine Hicks is 63. Rock singer Pat MacDonald (Timbuk 3) is 62. Country musician Mark DuFresne (Confederate Railroad) is 61. Actress Stepfanie Kramer is 58. Actress Faith Prince is 57. Rhythm-and-blues singer Randy DeBarge is 56. Actor Leland Orser is 54. Country singers Patsy and Peggy Lynn are 50. Basketball Hall of Famer David Robinson is 49. Actor Jeremy Ratchford is 49. Country singer Lisa Stewart is 46. Movie writer-director M. Night Shyamalan (SHAH'-mah-lahn) is 44. Actress Merrin Dungey is 43. Singer Geri Halliwell is 42. Actor Jason O'Mara is 42. Singer-actor David Campbell is 41. Actress Vera Farmiga is 41. Actress Ever Carradine is 40. Actress Soleil Moon Frye is 38. Actress Melissa George is 38. Rock singer Travis McCoy (Gym Class Heroes) is 33. Actor Leslie Odom Jr. is 33. Actress Romola Garai is 32. Rock musician Eric Roberts (Gym Class Heroes) is 30.