Day in History: Unexpected blizzard hits in 1964
1989 – 25 years ago
• The Rochester Public School District has experienced a growth of school enrollment. Kindergarten through 12th grade enrollment for the 1987-88 school year totaled 13,220 and this year's the numbers are 13,448. The district projects a total of 13,881 for next year.
Thanksgiving dinner at the Canadian Honker Restaurant in Rochester is $6.95 for adults and $2.95 for children under 8. The menu is turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes & gravy, sweet carrots, cranberries, dinner rolls, garlic toast and pumpkin pie.
1964 – 50 years ago
• An unexpected blizzard hit Southeast Minnesota yesterday and dumped six inches of snow. Winds were 20 to 40 mph, causing drifting, blowing and hazardous conditions. The snow will be followed by a cold wave and zero degree temperatures.
• Joe Rockenbach's 1964-65 Rochester Junior College basketball team made its debut this season with a 109-76 victory over Owatonna Pillsbury at the John Marshall gym. More than 1,200 fans attended the game.
• Rochester salaries for beginning teachers is at $5,525 for teachers with master of arts degrees and $5,025 for bachelor's degree holders.
1939 – 75 years ago
• Preston High School will present the three-act comedy, "Footloose," in the school auditorium. The play is under the direction of Miss Dorothy Buckman. Juniors taking part include Shirley Ibach, Russell Hahn, Marjorie Nagel and George Broadwater.
• A man who lost his false teeth in a beer tavern in Red Wing over two months ago was still upset and threw two beer bottles through the glass door of Carl and Emma's place. The man was arrested and fined $10 for drunkenness.
• Eyota High School's junior class will present "Lookin' Lovely," in the school auditorium. J.L. Snyder is the director and cast members include Eleanor Burd, Elaine Franke, Clair Nigon and Donald Keefe.
From news services
Ten years ago: Republicans whisked a $388 billion spending bill through the House by a bipartisan 344-51 margin. Palestinians formally opened the campaign for a successor to Yasser Arafat. Scientist Ancel Keys, who invented the K rations eaten by soldiers in World War II and who linked high cholesterol and fatty diets to heart disease, died in Minneapolis at age 100.
Five years ago: Scientists in Geneva restarted the Large Hadron Collider, the world's largest atom smasher, after a year of repairs. A Chinese national killed four people and wounded nine in a shooting rampage on the Pacific island of Saipan before taking his own life. Holding back tears, Oprah Winfrey told her studio audience that she would end her talk show in 2011 after a quarter-century on the air.
One year ago: Secretary of State John Kerry said the U.S. and Afghanistan had agreed on the language of a bilateral security pact that would clear the way for thousands of U.S troops to train and assist Afghan forces after the NATO combat mission ended in 2014. Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn signed legislation allowing same-sex weddings in his state.
Today's birthdays: Actress-comedian Kaye Ballard is 89. Actress Estelle Parsons is 87. Comedian Dick Smothers is 76. Singer Norman Greenbaum is 72. Vice President Joe Biden is 72. Actress Veronica Hamel is 71. Broadcast journalist Judy Woodruff is 68. Actor Samuel E. Wright is 68. Singer Joe Walsh is 67. Actor Richard Masur is 66. Opera singer Barbara Hendricks is 66. Actress Bo Derek is 58. Former NFL player Mark Gastineau is 58. Reggae musician Jim Brown (UB40) is 57. Actress Sean Young is 55. Pianist Jim Brickman is 53. Rock musician Todd Nance (Widespread Panic) is 52. Actress Ming-Na is 51. Actor Ned Vaughn is 50. Rapper Mike D (The Beastie Boys) is 49. Rapper Sen Dog (Cypress Hill) is 49. Actress Callie Thorne is 45. Actress Sabrina Lloyd is 44. Actor Joel McHale is 43. Actress Marisa Ryan is 40. Country singer Dierks (duhkrs) Bentley is 39. Actor Joshua Gomez is 39. Actress Laura Harris is 38. Olympic gold medal gymnast Dominique Dawes is 38. Country singer Josh Turner is 37. Actress Nadine Velazquez is 36. Actress Andrea Riseborough is 33. Actor Dan Byrd is 29. Actress Ashley Fink (TV: "Glee") is 28. Rock musician Jared Followill (Kings of Leon) is 28. Actor Cody Linley is 25. Pop musician Michael Clifford (5 Seconds to Summer) is 19.