Excite your Taste buds at new event
A Taste of Rochester, a new family-friendly event featuring some of the best food Rochester has to offer, is coming up next month at Soldiers Field Memorial Park.
The day-long event on Sept. 17 will feature food from top local restaurants, a family bike event, the Family Fun Zone and live music, and the day will open with a ceremony honoring veterans and active duty military personnel. Sponsors include the Post-Bulletin.
On Wednesday, judges for the event announced the winners of a tasting contest for food that will be offered at the inaugural event. The judges did a "blind" testing of fare from nearly 20 local restaurants and gave recognition to several.
• Golden Fork (best overall entry) — Chester's Kitchen & Bar, banana cream pie, from chef Derek Jensen.
• Merit taste (tie) — Grand Grill, miniature meatloaf cupcake, from chef Pasquale Presa; and Nupa, baklava, from owner Ted Paizis.
• Merit presentation — Vino, fish tacos, from chef Clinton Yocom.
• Honorable mention taste — Bilotti's, "The Bilotti’s Special Pizza," from owner Karla Sperry.
• Honorable mention presentation (tie) — The Restaurant, stuffed sweet peppers; and Stadium Club Cards and Concessions,"The Club’s Special" featuring red hot Chicago dogs.
• Photographer’s choice, best photo — The Restaurant, stuffed sweet peppers.
• Photographer’s choice, merit photo — Pescara, ahi tuna tartare.
• Photographer’s Choice, honorable mention photo — Chester’s Kitchen and Bar,
grilled pork tenderloin with charred corn salsa.
The judges were Stephen Lehmkuhle, chancellor of the University of Minnesota Rochester; June Prouty, Veterans Committee; Troy Dunken, Cumulus Radio; Carol Stillman, Veterans Committee; Bob Sanborn, Rochester Arts Council; Sue Johnson, Kahler Grand Hotel; and Rochester Mayor Ardell Brede.