Fire destroys garage in Northeast Rochester
A garage fire caused around $125,000 in damages to a northeast Rochester home early today.
The fire was reported at 1:16 a.m. at 1201 12th Ave. NE. Firefighters arrived to find a detached garage fully engulfed in fire, with the house starting to ignite. Firefighters stopped the spread of the flames toward the house, then turned their focus to the garage.
Residents of the house escaped the fire, and homes next door were briefly evacuated. There were no reports of injuries. The occupants spent the night with relatives. They were not able to spend the night at home because the electricity and natural gas service lines had been disconnected.
Firefighters managed to reduce the flames within 15 minutes of arrival, but the fire in the garage caused the roof to collapse inside.
During the fire, a power line came off the garage and was arcing and sparking in the backyard. Rochester Public Utilities disconnected the power.
Preliminary damage estimates were around $125,000, which includes fire damage to the siding of the home, total loss of the two car garage, damage to the two cars and heat damage to the siding of the neighbor's house.
The Rochester Fire Marshal's Office is investigating the fire.