Gas grill ignites NW Rochester home
Fire caused an estimated $25,000 damage to a Rochester home on Sunday afternoon after a gas grill ignited siding on the house, officials said today.
The homeowner at 609 33rd St. Lane lit the grill, then went inside to prepare the food; moments later, a neighbor told them the back of the house was on fire, Assistant Fire Marshal Larry Mueller said.
The homeowner used a garden hose to try to extinguish the flames, the report said, and another resident phoned for help.
The fire was into the eaves within about three minutes, Mueller said, because "it doesn't take much for vinyl siding to go. We consider it solid gas."
Electrical connections were shut off for a while, he said, and the residents were allowed back into the home.
There were no injuries reported; the fire was reported about 3:10 p.m.