It's opening day at the Mower County Fair
The busiest man at the fairgrounds on the day before the fair opens?
That would be John Mueller, president of the Mower County Fair Board. His goal is to have everything ready by 7 p.m. today, when he can pause a moment for the Pledge of Allegiance in the opening ceremony at the Farm Bureau Fair Square just off the Midway.
After the dedications, the Pride of Mower Awards presentations, hosted by Dan Conradt and Carla Johnson, will be made to individuals, families and organizations for their contributions to Mower County.
By then, Mueller said, all the livestock will be in place, the carnival will be up and running, Blackout will play at the Beer Garden at 9 p.m. and fireworks will follow at 10 p.m. at the Horse Arena. Tonight is teen night at the carnival, featuring $20 wristbands. A teen dance begins at 9:30 p.m. at Fair Square.
The demolition derby leads off the grandstand schedule at 7 tonight.
Wednesday will be Day Care Day at the fair and Kid’s Day at the carnival. Other feature events include:
• 8:30 a.m., light horse show in the horse arena.
• 10 a.m., opening of the FFA children’s farm.
• 11:30 a.m., Jim Jayes magician and puppeteer at fair.
• Noon-2 p.m., vehicle fair.
• 4 p.m., Austin’s Got Talent 2010 reunion at Fair Square.
• 4 p.m., Livestock Hall of Fame reception and induction ceremony at Crane.
• 4:30 p.m., parade.
• 5 p.m. Tribute to musical stars, Fair Square.
• 7 p.m. Motokazie Supercross at the Grandstand.
• 9 p.m. Seeds band at the Beer Garden.