Marion Township shed fire victim improving
The Marion Township man injured Sunday in the shed fire that caused several explosions is improving and expected to be released in a few days from the hospital, according to his family.
Jeremy Huey was admitted to Mayo Clinic Hospital - St. Marys Campus for smoke inhalation and burns after he ran back into the building in an attempt to rescue a family dog, according to his father, Jeff Huey, and he was heavily sedated for several days after being listed in critical condition.
Huey has had his breath tube taken out and been moved to a regular hospital room. He hasn't said anything yet because his throat is still very sore, Jeff said.
"We're very lucky," Jeff Huey said.
The workshop destroyed by the fire had at least six aerial mortar rounds and compressed gas cylinders of acetylene, oxygen and propane, which caused a series of explosions inside the shed just as the firefighters were responding to the scene, according to a Rochester police press release.
The state's fire marshal's office and the Rochester Fire Marshal's Office along with the Olmsted County Sheriff's Office is investigating the incident.