Sponsored By
An organization or individual has paid for the creation of this work but did not approve or review it.



Multiple charges filed after Tuesday chase

A Rochester man convicted for his role in a 2013 drive-by shooting made his first appearance Wednesday on new charges, after police say he ran from officers and hid in a garage.

Matthew Rasheed Miller, 19, was charged with third-degree burglary and attempted escape from felony custody, both felonies; obstructing the legal process with force, a gross misdemeanor; and misdemeanor counts of fleeing a peace officer and disorderly conduct.

He remains in custody in lieu of $100,000 and is due back in court May 18.

The incident began about 7:20 p.m. Tuesday, when an officer on patrol spotted Miller walking in the 10 block of 11th Avenue Northeast. The officer knew there was an active felony warrant for Miller, who had failed to appear for sentencing in the shooting case.

Miller ran as the officer approached him, said Capt. John Sherwin; law enforcement set up a perimeter in the area and continued to search, bringing in a police dog for assistance.


The dog tracked him to a garage in the 1400 block of Second Street Southeast; when officers moved in to arrest Miller, he began combative and non-compliant, Sherwin said, attempting to resist arrest.

The police dog handler released the dog, which subdued Miller with bites on the arm and leg, allowing officers to make the arrest.

One of the officers was injured in the incident when a nail from debris in the garage went into his palm, Sherwin said.

Miller was wanted for skipping an April 13 hearing in the shooting case — the day he was supposed to be sentenced for his felony conviction of dangerous weapons-drive by shooting.

The charge stemmed from a December 2013 incident, when Miller stole a gun from the center console of a truck, then used it to fire at a vehicle that was "creeping" up the street near a vehicle he was in.

No one was injured.

What To Read Next
Get Local