Sponsored By
An organization or individual has paid for the creation of this work but did not approve or review it.



No one hurt in a pair of house fires

A pair of house fires during the weekend caused damage, but no injuries, Austin officials said.

Austin police officers and firefighters on Saturday were called to 711 First Drive N.W. when a tenant reported there was a fire in the basement.

According to the police report, a small flame was visible on a black electrical cord, which was coming out of a metal box on a basement wall.

The tenants were evacuated and the fire was extinguished by Austin Fire Department. Damage was estimated to be less than $500 and was limited to the wire, the report said.

Firefighters were on the scene for about an hour.


On Sunday morning, Mower County Sheriff deputies and members of the Dexter Fire Department responded to 64956 250th St., rural Dexter, for a reported fire.

Tenant Kevin Hardecoph, 42, said everyone in the house was asleep when the fire broke out about 9:30 a.m., but all were able to escape safely.

According to the sheriff's report, officials suspect a space heater in a second-floor bedroom caused the fire.

Damage was confined to the second floor of the house, which is owned by Leon Holst of rural Dexter.

No damage estimate was available; Holst did not return phone calls seeking comment.

What To Read Next
Get Local