Plans unveiled for new government center
1990 – 25 years ago
• The Rochester City Council saw proposals for the layout of the city-county government center at the Riverbend site. The center will include a county jail, law enforcement center, county government center and city hall. Construction is scheduled to start in the spring of 1991.
• A brand new home in Rochester with vinyl siding, Andersen windows and 2 x 6 construction is listed for $61,000.
• At Radio Shack an 8-1 zoom VHS Camcorder with flying erase head is $699 and a handheld cellular telephone is $499.
1965 – 50 years ago
• The new 1965 Pontiac Catalina Sedan with retractable seat belts, two-speed wipers, power steering, and push button radio is $2,895 at Oxendale Pontiac on Highway 14 at 11th Avenue NW, Rochester.
• Bob Finseth, a chemical salesman from Kenyon, won the 19th annual Walter D. Shelton Memorial golf tournament with a 71-71 score for 36 holes. The tournament was played at the Rochester Golf & Country Club.
1940 – 75 years ago
• The mercury continued to climb as Rochester hit 102 degrees. It's the first time the temperature has broken the century mark since the scorching July of 1936, when the thermometer hit 99 degrees or more for 12 straight days, including the city's record of 108. Over 1,700 people sought relief at the Soldiers Field swimming pool.
• A new group of baton twirlers made their first appearance when the Rochester High School band played a concert at Soldiers Field. Twirlers included Jerine Fenske, Cecelia Anderson, Rosella Nelson, Virginia Webster and Peggy Brown.
From wire services
Ten years ago:Hurricane Emily roared across Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula, ripping roofs off luxury hotels, stranding thousands of tourists and leaving hundreds of local residents homeless. An unrepentant Eric Rudolph was sentenced in Birmingham, Ala., to life in prison for an abortion clinic bombing that killed an off-duty police officer and maimed a nurse. Retired Gen. William Westmoreland died in Charleston, S.C., at age 91. Veteran newsman Paul Duke died in Washington, D.C., at age 78.
Five years ago:Pakistan and Afghanistan sealed a landmark trade deal in the presence of U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, who pushed the two neighbors to step up civilian cooperation and work together against al-Qaida and the Taliban. A suicide bomber struck anti-al-Qaida Sunni fighters waiting for paychecks southwest of Baghdad, killing 45. Gunmen fired indiscriminately into a crowd of mainly young people in a rented hall in Torreon, Mexico, killing 17 people. Louis Oosthuizen, of South Africa, shot a 1-under 71 for a seven-stroke victory at 16-under 272 in the British Open.
One year ago:The United Nations Security Council held an emergency meeting a day after the downing of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 with the loss of all 298 people on board, demanding that pro-Russia rebels who controlled the eastern Ukraine crash site give immediate, unfettered access to independent investigators. The Obama administration announced it was reopening the Eastern Seaboard to offshore oil and gas exploration.
Today's Birthdays:Former Sen. John Glenn, D-Ohio, is 94. Conductor Kurt Masur is 88. Skating champion and commentator Dick Button is 86. Olympic gold medal figure skater Tenley Albright, M.D., is 80. Movie director Paul Verhoeven is 77. Musician Brian Auger is 76. Singer Dion DiMucci is 76. Actor James Brolin is 75. Baseball Hall of Famer Joe Torre is 75. Singer Martha Reeves is 74. Blues guitarist Lonnie Mack is 74. Pop-rock musician Wally Bryson (The Raspberries) is 66. Country-rock singer Craig Fuller (Pure Prairie League) is 66. Actress Margo Martindale is 64. Singer Ricky Skaggs is 61. Actress Audrey Landers is 59. Golfer Nick Faldo is 58. Rock musician Nigel Twist (The Alarm) is 57. Actress Anne-Marie Johnson is 55. Actress Elizabeth McGovern is 54. Rock musician John Hermann (Widespread Panic) is 53. Rock musician Jack Irons is 53. Actor Vin Diesel is 48. Actor Grant Bowler is 47. Retired NBA All-Star Penny Hardaway is 44. Alt-country singer Elizabeth Cook is 43. Actor Eddie Matos is 43. MLB All-Star Torii Hunter is 40. Dance music singer-songwriter M.I.A. is 40. Rock musician Daron Malakian (System of a Down; Scars on Broadway) is 40. Rock musician Tony Fagenson (Eve 6) is 37. Movie director Jared Hess is 36. Actor Jason Weaver is 36. Actress Kristen Bell is 35. Actor Michiel Huisman is 34. Rock singer Ryan Cabrera is 33. Christian-rock musician Aaron Gillespie (Underoath) is 32. Actor Chace Crawford is 30. Musician Paul Kowert (Punch Brothers) is 29. Actor Travis Milne is 29. Bluegrass musician Joe Dean Jr. (Dailey & Vincent) is 26.