Sponsored By
An organization or individual has paid for the creation of this work but did not approve or review it.



Report: Prince tried to meet with doctor before death

Gene Hanson, plowed the symbol of the late megastar Prince into a corn field near Edgeley, N.D. The retired farmer says he always liked the song "Purple Rain," and plowed the football-size symbol Friday. He then got in his airplane and took a photo of the temporary tribute to Prince, who died April 21, at age 57.

MINNEAPOLIS — A published report says Prince had arranged to meet a California doctor to try to kick an addiction to painkillers shortly before his death.

Attorney William Mauzy said that Prince representatives called Dr. Howard Kornfeld on April 20, the day before Prince died. Mauzy says he is representing the Kornfeld family.

Mauzy says Kornfeld couldn't immediately meet Prince, so he sent his son Andrew to discuss treatment. Mauzy says it was Andrew Kornfeld who called 911 when Prince's unresponsive body was found in an elevator at Paisley Park, Prince's suburban Minneapolis compound.

Mauzy and Howard Kornfeld haven't responded to messages from The Associated Press on Wednesday morning.

A law enforcement official briefed on the investigation has told AP that investigators are looking into whether Prince died from an overdose. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorized to talk about the investigation.


Meanwhile, a former assistant to Prince until last year has spent the days since his death trying to figure out how her boss, whom she described as very healthy, could have died so suddenly, adding that she never saw him ingest any drugs during her employ.

Mariah Brown, 25, said Prince didn't even drink, and she never saw him take any pills, nor did she get any on his behalf.

"He was a very, very healthy person. ... That man has more energy than me, and anyone I know," she told The Associated Press in an interview Tuesday.

She added: "The whole death didn't make sense to me. ... He never came across as sick, or anything like that. "

Prince was found dead April 21 at his compound in Chanhassen. Toxicology reports will not be available for weeks, but a law enforcement official has told the AP that investigators are looking into whether Prince died from an overdose and whether a doctor was prescribing him drugs in the weeks beforehand. The official has been briefed on the investigation and spoke on condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorized to speak to the media.

Prince had rescheduled concerts in the days before his death, citing illness.

Brown started working for Prince when she was referred by one of his friends who also worked with him. At the time, Brown was a 23-year-old model. . As his assistant, she brought him his food, bought his clothes and did other tasks non-celebrities do for themselves on a daily basis. She also toured with him in addition to managing his personal details.

"My experience with him was phenomenal; he's like no other," said Brown. "It was like magical."


Brown said she spent most of her days at Paisley Park: She might start at 1 p.m. and leave in the wee morning hours. He typically was working on his music but would sometimes spend hours talking to Brown and others, about anything.

She remembers him telling them "'there's no endings. You can do whatever you want, as long as you put your all into it.' ... The words 'can't' and 'no' never existed in his life."

Prince was the only person who lived at Paisley Park, but she and his band members spent so many hours there, he wasn't alone for most of the day. One moment he could be playing ping pong with his crew in fierce battle mode and the next he'd be at his sound stage.

And when the band or Brown would leave, he knew he could call them back and they'd be there.

"We would all stay about a mile up the road," she said. "It was one of those things where if he did call and needed something, we would go get it for him."

Brown said the two parted ways on a mutual note. She sent him a couple of emails just asking how he was after she left and he responded.

Why, she wonders, was he left alone if seriously ill?

"It hurts my heart because I don't know the story," she said.

What To Read Next
Get Local