Warrant issued for Austin man sought in home invasion
A warrant has been issued for an Austin man accused in an October home invasion and burglary.
The complaint was filed last week in Mower County District Court against John Alfonso Perales, 24, of 2014 Fourth Ave. N.E.
He faces three first-degree burglary charges and one count of second-degree assault with a dangerous weapon. All are felonies.
According to the criminal complaint, the incident began about 10 p.m. Oct. 26, when two men entered an apartment in northeast Austin and threatened a couple inside.
A 21-year-old man said he was alerted by his dog that someone was outside, so he started walking toward the door. That's when the two men walked into the apartment unannounced.
The alleged victim said he recognized one of the men as Roberto Javier Robledo, 20, but didn't know the other man.
The resident said Robledo told him, "you owe money ... pay up." The other suspect pushed the man onto a sofa, began striking him in the head and body, then held a large knife to his throat, the report says.
The victim said he pushed the man off him and grabbed his phone to call police, but Robledo grabbed the cellphone and threw it, then went into the kitchen to confront the woman. The complaint says he took the woman's cellphone with him when he fled. The homeowner ran to a house across the street to call police.
The man said he thinks the incident was connected to his ex-girlfriend, who believes the man owes her $230. She'd been "harassing him about the money for a few weeks," the complaint says.
The man said Robledo used to "hang out" with him and his former girlfriend.
Perales remained unidentified until Robledo was arrested Dec. 6. Robledo was shown a photograph of Perales, who he identified, but said he only knew from parties.
Robledo denied any knowledge of the Oct. 26 incident but has been charged in Mower County District Court with three counts of first-degree burglary.
No further court dates have been set for either man.