Sponsored By
An organization or individual has paid for the creation of this work but did not approve or review it.



Woman charged in connection with July shooting

The woman authorities believe helped out the suspected gunman in a drug deal gone wrong has been charged with a felony.

Seda Tatianna Heng, 19, faces one count of aiding an offender. She made her first appearance Wednesday in Olmsted County District Court and was released on her own recognizance.

Seng is due back in court March 10.

The charge came after Aries Candler, 17, was arrested Tuesday for his role in a shooting July 30 in northwest Rochester.

He'd been charged in August in Olmsted County District Court with one count each of first-degree aggravated robbery and second-degree assault, both felonies. Authorities had been looking for him since the shooting.


Two accomplices allegedly with him the night of shooting were arrested quickly, but Candler had been difficult to find.

He'd attended John Marshall High School for a while, but his latest address had been listed as Arizona. Candler also has extended family in Rochester, authorities said, who told investigators he may have gone to Indiana in August for a funeral.

It's unclear how long he'd been in the area before Tuesday's arrest, said Lt. Casey Moilanen, but Rochester police's street crimes unit had had Heng's house under surveillance, as well as a vehicle Candler had been associated with.

On Tuesday, officers saw Heng come out of the home, start the car in the driveway, then drive into the garage. According to the report, they saw somebody wearing a stocking cap get into the vehicle, but only saw Heng when she backed out of the garage.

Officials followed the vehicle, saw a head "pop up from the back seat," Moilanen said, and performed a traffic stop. Candler was, indeed, in the back seat, he said.

Candler and Heng were both arrested.

The 20-year-old victim, who was struck in the chin by a round from a small-caliber handgun, was allegedly shot by Candler after an altercation broke out during a marijuana sale.

The man has since recovered.

What To Read Next
Get Local